• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My Deuce won't start

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We need more information. What is the history of your deuce? Has it ever run since you obtained it? How long has it been sitting? Strong batteries?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
WD40 isn't the same as it used to be, for starting motors. Try ether, make sure you are cranking before you spray.

I bet its the shut-off that is stuck.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've had decent luck with gas in a spray bottle. The WDWDWD40 isn't what it used to be as Gimpster said.

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Need more information.
Got any fuel?
How long since ran?
Have you ever seen or heard it run?
Strong batteries?
In tank pump working?
Filters purged?
Fuel shut off plunger free?
Fuel control free under the cover at the plunger?
ETC

Josh

My buddy had the exact same issue with his truck. Ended up being the hydraulic head. I would check the shut off plunger first though.

I made the mistake of passing an off ramp I should have taken to get to a truck stop and ran out of fuel in my deuce. (rule #3 of deuce ownership: Never trust a deuce fuel gauge) After walking down the side of the highway and filling up a 2-gallon can with #2 diesel, I poured it in the tank (not knowing the lift pump in the tank was disconnected) and cranked it in 10-second cycles till the batteries were almost dead. I searched the step box hoping the previous owner left a can of ether in there, but to no avail. All I had was a can of silicone spray lube I took along on the recovery trip (just in case) and remembered that stuff is flamable. In desperation I pulled the mushroom off and shot about 4 seconds of silicone lube into the filter housing, stuck the mushroom back on, crossed my fingers and hit the start button. She fired instantly and stayed running! YAY! As soon as I got her home, I tested and reconnected the lift pump. She went from 5 seconds of cranking to start warm to firing instantly even when dead-cold. The next day, I went back to Big Lots and picked up 2 more cans of the silicone spray at $2.50 a can. It fires the multifuel instantly and isn't nearly as volitile as ether. It also freed up the rusty-pinned sticky accelerator pedal the truck had from sitting under trees for about 3 and 1/2 years with no top on the truck.
:driver:

51willysm38

Push the fuel shut off, that is located on the dash, back in. Go under the hood and find the cable that is connected to the shutoff and rotate the lever on the pump clockwise and it should start.

CabbagePatchDeuce

Got Brutus some what running finally but then shut it down to fill the radiator and then tried starting again and my battery's just didn't have it in them so we called it a day. Be back at it Next weekend when we come back down. Thank u everyone for the help and fast response

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Push the fuel shut off, that is located on the dash, back in. Go under the hood and find the cable that is connected to the shutoff and rotate the lever on the pump clockwise and it should start.
The fuel cut-off lever is not physically attached to the cable that is operated from the dash. It only ends up pushing it into "cut-off" position and returns to "run" position by the internal IP mechanism.
You may have to remove it and give it a good cleaning, so that it operates freely. Referring to the image below, the lever must slowly move by gravity when moved up and let go.

Attachments

m816

Yep, that is what I had to do to my deuce engine. Bjorn sure puts out good advice. I was surprised that it can really mess with your day. A little cleaning and careful reassembly and you are good to go.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The fuel cut-off lever is not physically attached to the cable that is operated from the dash. It only ends up pushing it into "cut-off" position and returns to "run" position by the internal IP mechanism..
I should add that the "gas" pedal is linked to it via a spring and a few taps on the pedal may put it in "fuel' position and get you started.

greg2560

The fuel cut-off lever is not physically attached to the cable that is operated from the dash. It only ends up pushing it into "cut-off" position and returns to "run" position by the internal IP mechanism.
You may have to remove it and give it a good cleaning, so that it operates freely. Referring to the image below, the lever must slowly move by gravity when moved up and let go.

what tm did the picture come out of ???

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Having the same issue with my 109 parked at my brothers. He has verified fuel getting past all the fuel filters and being pressurized by the in tank fuel pump. Cranks strong with fresh batteries and I'm thinking either shut off valve stuck or IP issues. He did start to crack the injectors but called it a day due to heat.

I sent him the above advice and he said that the shut off valve was more like a plunger then the lever set up in the above picture.

I also downloaded the TM above, but haven't had a chance to read it yet. Is the plunger type shut off in this TM or do I need a different TM?

Just throwing out a hail Mary post before heading up there tomorrow morning in case someone has any additional sage advice.

I will try to take pictures tomorrow and add to thread for future reference if we get it working, or so I can get additional advice if we fail to get it working.

Truck has been sitting for over a year. My other deuce and 5 ton get most of the attention, my 109 is the red headed step child of the bunch as work has consumed my free time.