• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV manual glow plug switch install issue

maxpowercheck

Hello all. Does anyone have A SIMPLE method for a manual glow plug switch installation? I have an '86 M1031 truck with a standard 8' pickup bed (has the NP205 transfer case) and I saw something somewhere about a very simple glow plug relay wire bypass and momentary dash switch install. The link I saw in here was too complex an install. Also, are there any cautions for the controller when doing this? Thanks... AND, my truck is 24V stock, smokes heavy grey when roughly starting from left exhaust only, then cleans up??? Why? Thanks again, learning here.

CCATLETT1984

re: the manual switch. all you need to do is take the blue wire that plugs into the glow plug controller harness (under the dash by the brake pedal) and run it to a button switch, then ground the other side of the switch. If you do it this way then the wait light will still come on as normal. PM me or mangus580 if you need any more help.

84cucv

I would like to do this myself. I am having nothing but problems with the stock set up. Hope this solves my problem.

Wartburg

re: the manual switch. all you need to do is take the blue wire that plugs into the glow plug controller harness (under the dash by the brake pedal) and run it to a button switch, then ground the other side of the switch. If you do it this way then the wait light will still come on as normal. PM me or mangus580 if you need any more help.
If my wait light is not working right now can I still do this? Is there a way to check the card? and where is it

Westech

CPL
best way is to read the TM or a repair manual. I have had many CUCV's and the controller seams to move around a bit in the cab. Read up on the truck first and then ask questions.. Im sure you will answer 99% of them on your own.

Wartburg

A Manual would be great. I was on line looking for one right before checking back in on the sit. One of my friends that is still in the service check and said they changed everything over to computer manuals and threw away the old books a few years back. I thought I had seen a computer write up on line somewhere but can not find it now. Where would you order one from or does anyone have one they would like to sale??

Westech

CPL
A Manual would be great. I was on line looking for one right before checking back in on the sit. One of my friends that is still in the service check and said they changed everything over to computer manuals and threw away the old books a few years back. I thought I had seen a computer write up on line somewhere but can not find it now. Where would you order one from or does anyone have one they would like to sale??[/quote

You know how many times I have heard that line? Im active duty and its kinda hard to do PMCS with a lap top in the motor pool in a rain storm or snow... point I getting at is the military DID NOT GO TO ALL PC FORMAT TM'S thats a load of poo. For the cucv you can get a manual for a regular GM pick up/blazer. there all the smame beside the charging system and black out lights.

Tanner

Hey guys - Not being a 'thread stealer' here, but I have a Question re manual switch install for lighting off the glow plugs: (I'm not looking at a manual or schematic currently)

You don't need a relay with the switch, correct?

I'm getting closer daily on dropping the 6.2 into my M37... working on it tomorrow! Motor mount time!

regards,

'Tanner'

davo727

Hey guys - Not being a 'thread stealer' here, but I have a Question re manual switch install for lighting off the glow plugs: (I'm not looking at a manual or schematic currently)

You don't need a relay with the switch, correct?

I'm getting closer daily on dropping the 6.2 into my M37... working on it tomorrow! Motor mount time!

regards,

'Tanner'

You are keeping a glow plug relay in the system since the glowplugs pull about 100 amps total.

Last edited:

RedHeadTarn

So if I am reading this right, putting the switch in doesn't affect the operation of the relay or control modual right? If the glow plug modual is working than it will still work correctly but if it fails, then you can use the momentary button to override. Am I right or did I miss something?