• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Split shifting a 813

blmyachtsales

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyone split shift a 813. I just got one and started messing with shifting the transfer case to fill the gap between 3rd and 4th (like a 2sp rear). Seems if you go from 3H to 5L to 4H you get a nice rpm drop right in the torque curve.

Will I wreck something doing this, seems with a little practice I could get the transfer case to shift smooth, maybe need to speed match the shift better??

I did a search for split shifting but didn't find much in the 5 ton section.

Capt.Marion

For clarification:
1L 2L 3L 4L 5L--shift transfer to high--4H 5H is the typical split pattern for the Deuce and 809-series trucks.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just incase you want the TM proof!

I told you I'd be a nuisance now I can 'snapshot' - 'paint' - 'cut n paste'!!!! :-

(Just can't wait to try it out - SF-97 just arrived, next step DMV.... )

Thanks RAEME for the "T" handle Hi-Lo modification for easy split shifting.

Though if you are really haulin' heavy, you could add to the mix 3L... 4L... 3H... 5L... 4H... 5H as 'blmyachtsales' said post #1.

Attachments

Last edited:

fasttruck

You always upsift first then down shift in that order. 2-5L, shift transfer to high & trans back to 4th. Slowing down ? shift from 4th h to 5th h and then downshift transfer case. Get this wrong and you wlll have a lot of truck parts on the ground. all compound trans work this way: 5X4 spicers, Mack trt and trq 720s or what have you (i.e. upshift first and then downshift, which lever moves first depends on which way you are going).

blmyachtsales

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fasttruck, I was learning this today. Tried downshifting the transfer cas first, knew that was a no no pretty quick. Luckily i was being gentle because I was unsure of the order. Just felt the gears meshing way to fast so I put it back in high. Know I know, thanks

Should I be speed matching to help the transfer case go into low easier, like downshifting the gearbox without the clutch?

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cab split shift.jpg
Aussie M816 at Tank Museum Puckapunyal.

I have a load of black knobs and could make a batch of transfer lever extensions like this but tidier. Anyone interested?

[Not posting in Classifieds yet as I have nothing to sell at this point - just testing the water!]

Last edited:

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's a vid I found of a Deuce being split when shifting up WITHOUT a transfer stick extension, camera pointing at rev counter. Turn sound up and listen to engine then imagine it all slower for a loaded 5 ton.
I am not sure off hand, how the gear ratios compare between a Deuce and a 5 ton. (Not interested in TM'ing that one! - it's like a cows opinion [Moo point] - "It doesn't matter!" - {Friends})

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27m9jnAurF8

There is a 5 ton shifting vid but no splitting and a load of bad techniques.... Coasting out of gear, allowing the wheel to slide... Tsk tsk.

There will be a vid sometime soon of a 5 ton with extension when the test has been done.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks