• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What is this bottle on a M923?

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a m923 with the NHC 250 and I have not been able to locate on the tm's what this plastic bottle is for? I am not sure what i am looking for?

It is next to the primer pump with a removable screw cap? It is about a quart size with a small fitting on the top.

Thanks for the help!

Juan

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It looks like an alcohol evap tank for cold weather, for the air compressor. But I'm not sure, that's a guess.

M813A1

I agree with Doghead it is for alcohol to be poured into and then used in the air system for the air brake system to keep the brakes from freezing up

nf6x

Feral Engineer
I don't think my truck has that bottle. My truck has the ABS MWO, and if I remember correctly, the MWO replaces an alcohol evaporator with an air dryer which is mounted under the frame of the truck, a bit forward of the rear axles. Does your truck have the ABS MWO? If not, then maybe you still have the alcohol evaporator system on your truck? If your truck does have the newer air dryer, maybe they just didn't bother removing the old alcohol bottle on your truck?

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe you'all are correct. I do have abs and I do remember reading in the tm's that the electric dryer replaces the alcohol system. I suppose they did not take it off and it was driving me crazy trying to figure it out. The fitting was also off of it and I was trying to see what was "broke".

Thanks for the heads up.

Juan

bigboy44

My 936 has a dryer on the passenger side frame in front of the rear wheels, does this mean I could remove the bottle? It would make a good start for adding windshield fluids with a small pump and some tubing. I have to change the control box and I will remove the brackets and all items that go with the bottle if I don't need it.
Thanks

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
bottle

I would recommend keeping the wash system with the OE bottle. The original is air operated pump. The switch on the dash is also air operated. To use the smaller bottle you would need a 24v washer pump and rig a new switch & wiring and plumbing.

Does your wash system work ok? Parts are available.

I just plan on keeping the alcohol bottle on there as it does not interfere with anything.

There is an oe vendor on epay that makes the control box who sells it for $139 or "best offer". I think folks are getting them for $100-120.

Congrads on the wrecker as I was watching all the stuff in Hammond. I like the MERDEC paint scheme and that operator Canopy makes it look even more "cool". Never know when I need a friendly wrecker for a "get me out of Trouble" and you are a skip across the pond. :)

Bighurt

Anyone have the primer handle pulled out and can't get it back in?

To keep the thread on subject i don't believe my M925 has that bottle, as shown by the OP. I'll look tomorrow.

emr

Well I for one am sure glad u asked this question, i have a bunch of gals of mil alcohol and just did not know what they used it for :) I will now look on my truck and see if i missed that bottle for the last 7 years :) maybe yes maybe no ...:):

bigboy44

Stop by and see her I am taking her panels off the bed to pressure wash it, I hope to have her up and running in a month or so.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found it in the TM's. The alcohol system is for only non abs trucks. The trucks with the abs MWO do not need it or used it as the electric dryer under the frame takes over the function.

Of course, the easiest way to tell you have ABS is if you have a yellow abs light next to the start and battery switch, Most M939 series from what I see, have been modified.

Good Driving, :beer:

Juan

goldneagle

Anyone have the primer handle pulled out and can't get it back in?

To keep the thread on subject i don't believe my M925 has that bottle, as shown by the OP. I'll look tomorrow.
try pushing it in slowly and twist to lock I believe I know it was a birch to get in on my M820.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks