• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LD 465 question

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My deuce has an LD 465 in it that was rebuilt in '86. It now has a C turbo in it. My understanding is that LD's did not have turbo's. I really don't think any of the previous owners did anything at all to the truck after it was surplused. My question is, did they add the turbo during the rebuild? I can't tell by the tag what exactly was done to the engine, I don't know what the codes mean.

Attachments

gungearz

The TD stamp is not a stamp but is casted in the block, recessed above serface. Its located to the right of the plate on the passenger side of the block. Towards the front. If I recall correctly from reading so much about these blocks. TD stands for thick deck. Indicating the type of heads you have. I don't think TD blocks were non turbos.

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The TD stamp is not a stamp but is casted in the block, recessed above serface. Its located to the right of the plate on the passenger side of the block. Towards the front. If I recall correctly from reading so much about these blocks. TD stands for thick deck. Indicating the type of heads you have. I don't think TD blocks were non turbos.
Thanks for the info, I was confused as to why it was designated an LD instead of an LDT. Maybe there was a batch of LD's built with turbo's and the TD blocks.

gungearz

Thanks for the info, I was confused as to why it was designated an LD instead of an LDT. Maybe there was a batch of LD's built with turbo's and the TD blocks.
Definitely possible.... I think it was like that when the original owner got it also. If you ever take the turbo off. Just hope the bolts don't snap off. That's the biggest problem with that job. Otherwise, it will take a couple of hours if you drag it out.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My Engine-in-a-Can is an LD-465.
I have the prospect of acquiring a "blown-engine-Deuce" with an UNKNOWN powerplant. (95% sure it's a Multi-Fuel, 75% sure it's a Turbo)

Guessing that 'blown-engine" has a Turbo, and if I were to replace the "blown-engine" with my like-new engine, would I encounter any problems sticking the Turbo on the LD-465 ? Or should I be thinking about other considerations?

Thank you :grin::driver:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
TD has nothing to do with turbo vs. non turbo applications.

After a certain point, they were all cast as TD's, to accommodate the higher torque ratings of the updated head gasket. I don't know they year this occurred but I strongly believe this to be the case.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Turbos were added to NA (Naturally Aspirated) engines to reduce visible smoke. If you get the turbo parts added to a standard LD-465, you now have an LDT-465 engine. Period. if you take the turbo off an LDT engine, you are left with an LD-465. The "T" was simply the way the Army could tell if the turbo conversion had been done. After a certain point, some time in the late 60's or very early 70's, they were all turbo engines leaving the factory.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My Engine-in-a-Can is an LD-465.
I have the prospect of acquiring a "blown-engine-Deuce" with an UNKNOWN powerplant. (95% sure it's a Multi-Fuel, 75% sure it's a Turbo)

Guessing that 'blown-engine" has a Turbo, and if I were to replace the "blown-engine" with my like-new engine, would I encounter any problems sticking the Turbo on the LD-465 ? Or should I be thinking about other considerations?

Thank you :grin::driver:
Turbos were added to NA (Naturally Aspirated) engines to reduce visible smoke. If you get the turbo parts added to a standard LD-465, you now have an LDT-465 engine. Period. if you take the turbo off an LDT engine, you are left with an LD-465. The "T" was simply the way the Army could tell if the turbo conversion had been done. After a certain point, some time in the late 60's or very early 70's, they were all turbo engines leaving the factory.

Thank you :D

That reinforces my plan/desire/motivation to make an offer on the "blown-engine-Deuce".

"Roger that, we got a PLAN ! ! !"

:doghead:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks