• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oshkosh MK48 MK18 containers

blhar15

What kind of containers will the MK18 self loading trailer accomodate and does anyone know where you can find them?

Thanks

DrillerSurplus

What kind of containers will the MK18 self loading trailer accomodate and does anyone know where you can find them?

Thanks
Are you referring to the MK18 or the MK18A1? I'm sure there are pros & cons for each, but the "hook" of the MK18A1 seems like it might be more versatile. Either one should be able to handle a standard 20' container, but the A1 might be able to use some of the newer LVSR/PLS system flatracks, etc.

Here are a couple of publications that mightbe usefull.

TM 11240-ODA PRINCIPAL TECHNICALCHARACTERISTICS OF U.S. MARINE CORPS MOTOR TRANSPORTATION EQUIPMENT says "The MK18 is capable of self loading and unloading the
- - - Flatrack and International Standards Organization/American National
Standards Institute (ISO/ANSI) cargo containers though the use of hydraulic cylinders, pulleys, chains and winches. Prior preparation of the RBU is not required for loading and unloading of ISO/ANSI containers."

http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?AD=ADA324707 Intermodal Containerization

AD-A275 870/4 Container System Hardware I can't remember where I downloaded it

Attachments

DrillerSurplus

I haven't found one yet. If I do I'll make sure to let you know. I'm planning to use the MK48's in the drilling business for projects we have out in the middle of nowhere. What are you doing with them? Looks like you have jumped in with both feet in Jacksonville and Mechanicsburg. You will probably want a few of those station kits. They just sold a bunch of repair kits for the articulation joints - they went pretty cheap.

sandcobra164

Gents, I mailed an electronic copy on CD of the MK 48 TM's to a mod on here. If they decide that they are allowed to post them, they will. Give it a few days, hopefully they rule that they can post them.

sandcobra164

I need to add, some of the mods think they need to look at the legality of posting them. I think they should be fine as the trucks are obsolete and going into civilian hands. Footnote to that though, some of the mods understand the legal system better than I do, If they do not post the TM's, I'll await input from one of them before I burn a CD to send to you!!!

BigWill1985

If you guys send me a copy I'll gladly host it (as long as it's <25megs). I have a buddy of mine that runs a hosting site for me and a group of close friends.

PM me if you'd like for me to host it. I can upload it tonight and give you guys a url.

~Will Courtier~

sandcobra164

I stand by my statement the the site mods know the legal system better than I!!! It's over 25MB, they have it and they'll post if it they decide they can. I'm not going against the grain, I enjoy this site and don't want to be banned.

Respectfully,

Sandcobra164

BigWill1985

I'm sorry, I had no intention of ruffling feathers with the mods. I was just wanting to help out others and host it personally.

Good call. If the mods want it hosted they'll do it. I apologize if I offended anyone.

~Will Courtier~

tcody

I don't know if this will help. The LVS TM's are on Scrib for download. Just google them.
50865088-TM-08780B-20
50883731-TM-08780B-34
50889464-TM-08780B-10
50873822-TM-08780B-24P
From what I have found the MK18A1's were converted container trailers after these TM's were written meaning they don't contain the MK18A1 info. The TM for the PLS has many of the same parts and can be found at the same site and is:
TM 9-2320-364-10
I too am looking for a TM for the MK18A1 if it exists

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The18 and the 18a1 ARE PRIMARY ribbon bridge section loaders/launchers/haulers, that also can load/haul a container, LOOK in the ribbon bridge TMs for the TM for this trailer

DrillerSurplus

I don't know if this will help. The LVS TM's are on Scrib for download. Just google them.
50865088-TM-08780B-20
50883731-TM-08780B-34
50889464-TM-08780B-10
50873822-TM-08780B-24P
From what I have found the MK18A1's were converted container trailers after these TM's were written meaning they don't contain the MK18A1 info. The TM for the PLS has many of the same parts and can be found at the same site and is:
TM 9-2320-364-10
I too am looking for a TM for the MK18A1 if it exists
I was able to at least track down the right TM numbers for the MK18 & MK18A1.
The Olive-Drab is a pretty good site for information- it had the TM information listed below - http://olive-drab.com/idphoto/id_photos_lvs.php
Operator's manuals for the LVS are divided by variant:
· TM 08780B-10 covers the MK48/48A1 with Mk14, 15, 16 and 17/17A1
· TM 2320-10/11 Supplement 1 covers the MK48/48A1 with Mk18 -----These two are the ones we need
· TM 09470B-10/1 covers the MK48/48A1 with Mk18A1 -----------------
· Marine Corps Lubrication Instruction LI 2320-12/9B
· Army Lubrication Order LO 9-2320-297-12
Google leads to this site, but the site doesn’t want to give the TM up.
http://www.marcorsyscom.usmc.mil/sites/GTES/PM%20MT/HFTechnicalManuals.asp

iBOX

Does anyone know if the mk48 TM ever got posted? If it did, how do I find it? If it didn't how can I get one? I just purchased the mk48/17a1/18a1 and need to figure out how to load standard containers "flat". Any help here would be really great!

DrillerSurplus

I replied to your other thread with the link to the TM's here on this site. I found the attachment for the MK18A1 that reduces the angle of loading, but it is only for short containers, not 20 footers. I posted that on the other thread earlier today.
here's the link to the other thread http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?86117-Oshkosh-MK48-any-experience-owners

However, you won't be able to load the containers flat unless you use a forklift or slide them off a loading dock.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks