• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1031 Generator

sebaeb

I have a 1986 m1031 with the maintance box ...i just got the truck up and running...and now turning my attention to the generator....i have searched the forum and didn't come up with much info how to operate it...even looked in the TM'S but no luck...any help would be great!

thanks steve

Keith_J

The transfer case must be in neutral, this requires the transmission to be in neutral.

The Muncie PTO is neither constant mesh or synchronized meshed so it is engaged with the engine off. Sometimes it won't properly engage so you have to keep pulling on the knob as the engine is started and the output shaft of the transmission moves a bit.

Here is what I do:

Shift transfer case to neutral. Put transmission in neutral. Start the engine while pulling on the PTO engage knob. While still pulling on the knob, shift transmission to drive. You should heat the generator speed up. Now you should have the PTO light on. Flip the governor switch.

The frequency meter only works with the master circuit breaker (top left 3 pole unit) on.

To shut down, turn all circuit breakers off, then turn the governor switch off. Now stop the engine and wait for the generator to stop turning. Push the PTO knob in, shift transmission to neutral and shift transfer case to 2H. Now shift transmission to park and turn off the engine completely and lock steering column.

dependable

The frequency meter may not be that accurate (mine does not work at all). You might want to check with a multi meter or 'kill o watt' plug in unit. Then adjust governor speed accordingly.

Keith_J

There is no calibration of reed type frequency meters. They function like tuning forks so there might be a tiny bit of drift associated with temperature changes, this would be a percent or two over a -40 to 120 F anticipated temperature range.

They are far more reliable than an analog meter.

dependable

Both the trucks I got out of Limestone ME in 2010 have seized up meters. I think they came from Europe via Halafax, maybe too much weather. Wondered how they worked. If anyone knows a source for these please PM me.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks