• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Seats for CUCV

stationjj

I bought my M1009 in May. The seats have been on my list of things todo.

My seats the springs are about shot. I got tears and rusted metal parts.
Also my passenger side seat doesn't lift up and tilt forward. I don't think it the original seat. It seems like driver side seat was used?

Today I went to browse a JunkYard. From research a few users have used some old S-10 Blazer seats. I found many seats, but most of them will not tilt forward.

Then I found a chivy 1983 K5 Blazer. It's been on the lot less than a month. Over all the Blazer is in decent shape for an 83.

The seats seem to be in decent shape. Dirty and mildew. No major tears, springs are good, seat is color faded. The plastic cover pieces are still there as well. Overall the seats are in better shape than what I have.

I am thinking some cleanup and vinyl with SEM ColorCoat.

I think I remember reading somewhere? The seats in Chivy blazer are different than the ones placed in the military Blazer? Is this right? The mount looks almost the same to me.

If the seats are different than chivy? What is different about them?

Also in the M1009 the passenger seat is suppose to lift up and tilt forward? Right?
I have the spot in the floor for the seat hook. So I do suppose so?

Thanks for any verification on this.

stationjj

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No, the back rest tilts forward but not the entire seat.

Not sure of the difference but it's been reported that they are similar to the S10 seats

Last edited:

cpf240

The passenger seat of a civy blazer does tilt forward. The M1009 passenger seat back, and only the seat back, tilts forward and when tilted forward allows the seat bottom to slide forward on the base to allow access to the back seat. The latch in the floor pan for the civy seat is there though. I do not know if the civy seat bolt pattern matches the M1009 locations though.

wayne pick

I put leather power seats from a 2002 S10 in my 1031, had to PITA fab brackets to fit it with all the power stuff underneath, not worth it. standard S10 seats backs will flip forward enough so you can access the rear seat of your 1009 from either side. They may just bolt up to your sliders with little or no PITA fab work. Here's a pic so you get an idea of how they look in the truck. Oh I forgot, If you use the S10 seats, get the seat belts as well. Your old belt clip won't work with these seats.

Attachments

Last edited:

blackhueys

I did this to my m1009 the civy seats bolt right in they use different holes though but its ok as they are there and still like the m1009 seat bolts where they are a welded nut style to the floor it will work might need to chase the holes first though for the civy seats to bolt in.

stranger75

Did you go to the pull a part/ pull n save off Centennial/ Briley? I saw they had an old K5 but haven't had the chance to make it over there yet. If you are interested, I have a very good condition original passenger seat and back seat.

stationjj

Yes stranger75 I went to Pull a Part of Briley. I sent you a PM.

I bought a passenger seat out of a 83 civy Blazer. It does fit, with the same civy mounts.
No modifications on my part. The bolt holes lines up. I was a bit concerned on fit after some research it did.

Anyway I paid $30 out the door with seat and mount. The springs are in good shape and it has no tears. It has dirt and mildew mostly. After a good clean up it should turn out to be a nice seat.

FYI. The driver side seat on this 83 civy k5 has a tear on it. The rear bench seat is intact and seems to be in good shape.

Picture of seat

Attachments

twlinks

Be careful with that. Mildew is pretty stubborn.
1/2 Clorox 1/2 water solution will kill any mildew. But, get it on your clothes and you will have spots...doesn't matter much how soon you wash them. On the seats, spray it on, let it sit a few minutes and wash it off.

Last edited:

stationjj

Twlinks, Roger that on the Clorox spray.

Anyway, I got the seat all cleaned up. I am pleased how well this worked out.

The spring action in the new seat is so much better than what I have.

I also now have a seat and mount that will lift up and tilt forward. Accessing the back will be so much easier now. My dog will like it better now.

I am considering pulling the drivers seat. It does have tear on seat not large, but I got seat cover. The seat and mount cost me $30

Should I pull Driver's seat as well? what do you think?

Picture of before and after.

Thanks for your input.

stationjj

Attachments

stationjj

My new passenger seat

On Monday I posted a thread on new seats for my CUCV.
Link; http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/93295-new-seats-cucv.html

I pulled the seats from a local junkyard out of a 83 Blazer. I consider myself lucky to find an 83 blazer in a junkyard. The blazer smelled bad, the seat had mold and dirt.

I am new to restoration work. This was my first pull from a junkyard.

I used safety precautions. I wore nitrile gloves, sprayed water/Clorox mix before pulling, and wrapped in plastic during transport.

I wanted to post my final results. I am pleased with my results for a newbie.
The seat does have a slight tacky feeling, but I understand SEM has a product that will help with this.

I sprayed with a Clorox/water mix, cleaned with 409, and sprayed with SEM color coat. Any tips from the experts? I am learning as I go along.

Photos; Pull, After clean up, and final.

stationjj

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks