• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Towing

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is that an 09 or 08? It's an 08 bumper. Secondly, is that just a receiver box welded to the base of the bumper? Thirdly, how heavy is the trailer you plan on using? TM 9-2320-289-10 will list the towing capacities of your truck.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gotcha. The TM holds the numbers on towing weight for factory equipment. Only you know the weight of the equipment you want to tow.

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The M1009 can safely tow about 6500 lbs with stock axles & tires. Is the receiver on your bumper just welded to the bottom? Is the bumper welded to the truck frame? Does the bumper have extra reinforcements welded to it that bolt or weld to the frame? I feel that you would be much better off by removing the receiver plate from the bottom of your bumper and installing a Class III hitch to your CUCV. The hitch will better distribute the weight of your towed load to the frame, making towing much safer. Also, I recommend installing an electric trailer brake controller. Reducing the potential for catastrophic failure can save you time, money, and maybe a life. You can't put a price on peace of mind. Think of how much $$ lawyers cost compared to the price of a good quality hitch & brake controller...

I have a Class III hitch that is bead welded and bolted to the frame of my CUCV. I own an 18ft double axle car hauler that I use to haul my wife's M422 Mighty Mite. The trailer brake controller install cost me $300 - MUCH cheaper than the replacement value of my wife's pride and joy! :smile:

Last edited:

CUCVSRK

It is an M1009 with an M1008 bumper on it, it is welded to the bumper and the bumper appears to be welded to the frame. yes the bumper does have extra reinforcements that hold it to the frame. Do you have any pictures so I can see your setup?

CUCVSRK

Is that an 09 or 08? It's an 08 bumper. Secondly, is that just a receiver box welded to the base of the bumper? Thirdly, how heavy is the trailer you plan on using? TM 9-2320-289-10 will list the towing capacities of your truck.
I typed TM 9-2320-289-10 into Google and all I got was maintenance manuals

antilies

Quote "I don know the weight of the trailer I don't own it, I just rent from uhual"

I am a uhaul employee in south central PA. The unladen weight of the 7K auto transport is 2100-2200 Lbs. There is a 7.5K model. It weighs 2300-2400 Lbs.

Before you head in to the Uhaul, check online to make sure that they will actually rent the thing to you. The computer asks for the towing and towed vehicles to verify that things are within spec. If they are not (I.E. towing vehicle is not heavy enough, the towed vehicle is too wide Ect) they can not rent to you. The system will not allow them to actually process the rental.

Just a heads up.

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
CUCVSRK: I finally had a chance to take pictures of my trailer hitch installation.

Attachments

CUCVSRK

ODFever that looks really good thanks for taking some time to go take the pictures. I like that you painted it to match the truck, it makes it look like it belongs there.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I want to tow a Jeep Wrangler TJ (see below) with my M1009. I do have a hitch strong enough but I'm not to sure the M1009 it self is capable of hauling such a large load. I don't want to exceed the maximum towing capacity. Any info would be helpful, thanks.
This is not a 1009 rear, that may be strong enough, the 1009 military hitch sucks for strength

2deuce

I have used my M1009 for towing a loaded car trailer in a pinch, but strongly recommend against it. I used the stock hitch location but just bolted up a convertible pintle/ball hitch. The problem is stability over 40mph. I have a trailer brake controller on mine so braking was not a problem and the hitch was not a problem either. The M1009 is just too short and too light. The air from a passing semi will disrupt your stability and make you feel like your driving on ice even when it is a hot day. I say spend your money elsewhere and be safe.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks