• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trip up Mt. Washington

Skinny

Got the ol' M1031 ready for the first big road trip. A group of trucks went up Mt. Washington on 8-26-12 at 0400.

Staging the prior afternoon getting ready to head up hotel.
IMG_4483.jpg

Fuzzy back up cam...check!
IMG_4488.jpg
IMG_4490.jpg

What do you do with a diesel PTO powered 12kW generator? Make coffee!
IMG_4499.jpg
IMG_4513.jpg
IMG_4537.JPG
IMG_4539.JPG
IMG_4544.JPG
IMG_4551.jpg
IMG_4562.JPG

Skinny

IMG_4571.jpg
IMG_4574.JPG
IMG_4581.jpg
IMG_4584.jpg
IMG_4618.jpg
IMG_4653.jpg

Finished by coming back through the Kancamangus highway and some unmaintained roads through the state forests.
IMG_4660.JPG
IMG_4677.jpg

The 6.2 in low range first gear was not happy during the climb. It never really struggled but wasn't exactly setting the world on fire carrying all that weight up the steep grades. To redeem itself, it provided great engine braking on the way back whether in high or low range. Putting the M1031 in some of the narrow spots was like threading the needle...very white knuckle in a few areas. The mountain workers were very suspicious. First, they though I was some kind of terrorist but then found out most do not make coffee on the side of the road. Then they started with vehicle length and width measurements...sweet talked my way through that. "Yeah, it's a standard long bed Chevy truck":doghead:

Last edited:

cscmc1

GREAT pics! Your truck looks right at home with those Rovers. I'm jealous -- that's some fine stomping ground. It's awfully flat around here...

Skinny

Thank you gentlemen...I use that word loosely;)

Anyone that has the chance to do the sunrise drive...take it. I used to have a big rockcrawler and would travel to find the biggest obstacle to drive over. This beats all of it hands down.

As far as the Chevy fitting in with the Rovers, they have accepted me for who I am. Me being someone that can't pay an overly inflated price for something that works half the time! The only disadvantage was fuel consumption. Everyone was doing fine and I was panicking to find diesel in the middle of nowhere. It took 15 gallons to go from southern Maine to the mountain, climb it, then drive around for an hour. Wow! Dual saddle tanks will be on the list of mods to do soon.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks