• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wrecker welding tanks/bottles

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, I wasn't lucky enough to get welding tanks on my 816, heck, didn't even get the welding tool box or torch/gauges etc. No prob. Won't be gas welding with the wrecker - have a shop set for that. But a "demo only" set would be nice. (could stencil them "M-T" as in 'nothing inside'!)

Talking to my local Airgas rep/salesman, come to learn that 225 cu ft Acetylene/250 cu ft Oxygene tanks are not available for sale (new), they should all be owned by the gas companies, (smaller ones yes) but are leased by said gas Co's.
I am doing the searches at the weekend farm/garage sales, some are bound to turn up.... HOWEVER, I saw this thread http://www.steelsoldiers.com/5-ton-up/5831-m816-5-ton-medium-wrecker.html and Recovry4x4's post and I quote :- "The torch tanks are unique to the wrecker and the purist can tell the difference." Does that mean 'no other 5 ton etc., carries welding bottles' or 'the welding bottles are unique to the Army'? .. I doubt the latter.

I have come across a large, old propane tank, approx the right height, but about 2" too big in diameter for the holder/bracket. Does have the older valve and screw on cap just like an O2 or Acetylene tanks.

Can't remember what thread I saw it in, but a pic of an 816 with what looked like a big Propane tank.... may have been mistaken.

More info needed. So, my question is : Were later trucks modified to carry larger Propane tanks? - Do the M984's have propane now for cutting only as those tanks look much larger???

Thanks.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
I can't answer your questions, but I have similar ones of my own.

I noticed that the welding tank mounts on my M936A1 are different than the ones on my M543A2, but I do not yet know if they are made for different sized bottles. I also tried getting some proper bottles for my M543A2 at Airgas many years ago, with the same result (i.e., failure). I haven't researched bottles for my M936A1 much yet.

I would like to put some welding gas bottles on my M936A1. I rarely weld, but since I have a torch set anyway, I might as well store the bottles on my wrecker instead of on a cart in the workshop. And properly sized bottles for my wrecker should last me a VERY long time!

If I can get bottles that would satisfy a purist, then that would be great. If not, then bottles of the right diameter to fit the mounts would be fine even if they're different sizes or styles than the originals. Not many will know the difference with a coat of green paint on them. I need to measure the bottles that I already have in my workshop. The oxygen bottle might fit the mount, but I think my acetylene bottle is too small in diameter.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Perhaps we can get some pics of the valve and any markings, also dims of bottles from S/S'ers who have had 816 or 936's come 'out' with bottles intact...

Another point - the yellow tanks on the M984E1/A3's ... are they the larger Propane tanks?

I could always section my large propane tank, top n tail it, then weld it all back together at the Acetylene size to fit the brackets! It's very old and rusty, doesn't even smell 'gassey'. I've done this with recently "live" 20lb tanks to make nice little nut n bolt tumblers. Well, what else do you do with the 6 point handle valves that can't be refilled!

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Possibly for background reference - but what I/(we?) need is the dimensions etc., of the propper BII bottles. I do have the securement brackets/clamps on my empty tank holders.

I can't believe that commercially available tanks would be different. The only things that may be different would be labeling/stamping/marking etc., 'cause regular gauges/torches would be sourced. Just look at the service glad hands - Army yellow instead of civi blue, otherwise the same! (Please - no thread hijacking on glad hands - yes there may be little valves and steel covers/dummies)

vtdeucedriver

The oxygen tanks are the same but your acetylene tank is different. It's actually fatter in size and half the height of the oxygen. If I remember, I will take a pic of my acetylene bottle when I'm at the wrecker.

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i have one correct gas bottle that is empty. i havent tried to get it filled. says us gov on the outsides and almost afraid to ask.:beer:

Andy1234

I have the tanks and can provide measurements and pictures, if needed.

I also have one of the torch kits (it's not complete, but it's close), if you want pictures.

Andy

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tim,

Our club has some the same way, and a member asked about having them refilled. Company said no problem IF they had been pressure tested recently.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
I have the tanks and can provide measurements and pictures, if needed.

I also have one of the torch kits (it's not complete, but it's close), if you want pictures.

Andy
I would really appreciate it if you would share pictures and dimensions in this thread.

I'll go ahead and measure/photograph the mounts on both of my wreckers just to capture the differences here for posterity. I can probably measure by flashlight tonight, but the photos may need to wait. I haven't seen an M8xx wrecker up close, so I don't know which variety of bottle mounts it has. My M543A2 has one mount on each side of the truck, with thick bolt-on straps to secure the bottles, if I recall correctly. My M936A1 mounts both bottles behind the driver side of the cab, with padlockable, adjustable draw latches on the thinner metal straps.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was just finishing painting the larger tank for my 543 tonight, it came off a 816 the basic dimensions are 33.5 inches round and 45 inches tall for the big tank I don't yet have the smaller tank. The photos show all the marking on my tank.

Attachments

nf6x

Feral Engineer
I was just finishing painting the larger tank for my 543 tonight, it came off a 816 the basic dimensions are 33.5 inches round and 45 inches tall for the big tank I don't yet have the smaller tank. The photos show all the marking on my tank.
I see that one of the markings is "NON SHAT". If I'm not mistaken, there's similar marking on a breathing oxygen bottle that a warbird collector friend gave me out of his T-28B. It's wrapped in steel wire to prevent the bottle from grenade-like shattering if it's damaged. He gave it to me because it was out of certification date, and the wire would have had to be cut off to inspect it for recertification, making it just like any other O2 bottle of the same size... and thus, fairly pointless, so he simply bought a new O2 bottle. I use if for a particularly cool small-volume, low-pressure compressed air tank. Is your tank wire-wrapped similarly, or does it look like it once was? I can't quite tell from the pictures.

I'm also curious about the correct painting for tanks that would be put on a 3-color camo truck that might be used in a forward area. Would they be painted to match the truck, or to at least not stand out like a glowing "shoot me" beacon?

For trucks used stateside, would the tanks be painted any old color that they commonly come in?

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I picked up an oxygen bottle from a salvage yard for $25. It looks the right size, just needs a little paint.
Just going to use it do demo.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not sure which one you mean - large as in Tallest (O2)
or large as in Fattest (Acetylene)!..? :-?

Thanks for the pics and dims.

Is that "School bus yellow" or a military color? Looks like the same yellow as the fat tank on the M984 - which I believe is 'fuel' as in Propane (?) or Acetylene?????

Csm Davis

Okay the oxygen bottle is a standard size you can buy and the same size on all of the wreckers that I have seen, the acetylene bottles that fit the mounts are a standard size that you may or may not can get,some places will sell them, but the government used different height bottles some are so short they needed a spacer under the bottle to be tall enough to clamp in to the mounts and stateside they are yellow but I do have a 383 green set. Also if you want to have them marked properly when empty, paint the word EMPTY in two inch letters about three quarters up on the bottles. Also if anyone wants a acetylene bottle I have one or two I might part with.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
I just peeked at my M936A1, and there are some scuffs of yellow paint on the CARC in the area where the acetylene bottle goes. So it looks like mine has had a yellow bottle clamped in there. There's also a rust ring which looks like it came from a smaller diameter bottle than the bracket is designed to hold, so maybe a more common size of acetylene bottle has been mounted in there before? I got the truck from GL, so it's in its as-released state.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
I thought my M936A1 might be set up for different bottle diameters than my M543A2, but I was mistaken. Both appear to want an oxygen bottle around 8" diameter, and an acetylene bottle around 12" diameter.

Here are the mounts on the M543A2:

IMG_2262.jpg IMG_2263.jpg

Here are the mounts on the M936A1:

IMG_2264.jpg

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
.......There's also a rust ring which looks like it came from a smaller diameter bottle than the bracket is designed to hold, so maybe a more common size of acetylene bottle has been mounted in there before?
Don't forget that the bottom of the tanks is 'spun' down to create the bottom and therefore smaller by the time it has gotten to the part that it stands on.

But thanks for the info on comparative sizes (same as my 816) and the yellow.

Jeff - thanks also for the info. What heights of the Acetylene have you seen in the past/have now?
Would love to get one of your bottles but the shipping on that size of tank would be crazy!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks