• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Behr Tan codes and General Painting Questions

cptd

I have a M1009 that my wife wants me to paint. "I don't want it to look like you stole it from the motor-pool" was the exact quote. I want it to still look military, cuz frankly that is why we buy these things (or at least I did).

So, I want to paint it tan, check my avatar and you will see that it is a mutant desert colored woodland pattern now. I want it to be the tan that is the base color.

I have a few questions.

1. I have searched and searched and I cannot find the Behr code for tan. I am probably going to do a satin or semi-gloss, rather than flat, see the wifes guidance above.

1a. Will the color codes work using a satin or semi-gloss base rather than the flat base?

2. I have an electric Wagner HVLP sprayer. Has anyone used that type of gun for this application?
2a. Did it work well?
2b. What about it didn't work well?
2c. If not that, what should I use? I plan on rolling the roof at least and probably brushing/rolling much of the interior. Will the sprayer work better? Worse? Faster? Slower?

3. Do I need to prime anything or can I just shoot over whats there?
3a. What primer or filler should I use to fix a few dents and deep paint chips?

4. Not having ever done anything like this before, how far down do I need to strip the vehicle of parts? Bumpers off, rubber off everything or close the doors tape off the glass and get shooting?

I really appreciate your help. I am really looking forward to getting this truck looking great.

CPTD

M923driver

Do you have a sample of the color you want? Something like a small part or paint chip. HD will color match it and mix it in the correct base for satin or semi. I'd use the sprayer for consistency and smoothness. I believe there is a primer for using latex over solvent based paint, however I painted a work trailer with leftover house paint right over the old automotive paint and it still looked good when I sold it after ten or so years. At the time I just thought it would last a year or so and was really surprised at how durable and resistant to scratches/chips it was. One thing if you strip it down: there is probably CARC under there somewhere, really toxic stuff when you sand it. Be sure to use a respirator or a positive pressure mask. Good luck with the job, post pics when you're done!!

mhassett

Behr Paint

I just painted myl Duece with Behr green. Recipe was for the marine green. Matched the RAPCO very well as I used that as a sample.
Bought the Wagner Airless sprayer with a quart pot under the handle. Paid $100. At Lowes. Flat sprayed paint really fast and used 4 gal to paint the truck.
Was pleased with results, jut did not figure I would use soooo much paint.
Much cheaper in the long run than alkyd enamel.
MHassett
Bush, LA

greg burns

Behr Paint Formula

As was mentioned in a recent painting thread, Home Depot can also match to the Federal Color standard. I recently asked for some 34079. The Rapco ad has the federal numbers listed for all of the colors they have available. It seems like you could use their number for tan and have Home Depot mix you a sample batch. They looked 34079 up on the computer and mixed me one of their sample jars. When I tried it at home it seemed to be a perfect match for the base color that was already on my truck.

Woodsplinter

If you want it to look good, forget the roller and brush. Spraying is the only way to go- it may take more time to mask things off, but it's well worth it. The actual painting goes faster with a sprayer and doesn't leave brush/ roller marks.

cptd

Thanks for the responses on the paint codes. I think I have that problem solved.

Next question to be answered is.... Do I need to prime anything that isn't taken to bare steel? One of you wise fellas said that the acrylic paint should stick well to the flat CARC like paint very well. should I still scuff it all up so that the new paint will adhere evenly?

I'm going to do this in my driveway, the exterior anyway. The interior will get done in my garage...

I am about to be on leave for a bit where I won't have to drive it everyday, so I will paint the exterior on my driveway, and pull it into the garage for a couple weeks to let it harden. While inside I will do the interior.

I have a pretty small window to get this done and would like to have some idea of how much prep is necessary so I can budget my time wisely. I have painted motorcycles with rattle cans before so I know all about the importance of prep. I just haven't undertaken something as large as this.

Thanks again for all of your help. As always Steel Soldiers is a tremendous resource.

CPTD

paradeduty

I had depot mix up about 10 gals of the base green off of the federal codes for the HMTT Prototype. All done by remote control as my wife had to pick it up for me since I was still buried with work and time was running out before the TACOM show - was I nervous! Looked good at the shop and, as it turned out, it seemed to be a dead ringer for the color on a current issue Stryker that it was parked next to at the show. Lets just say that I was extremely pleased with the color match.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks