• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Crew Cabbed M109

FatBuddhaBoo

Crew Cabbed M109???

Well I'm pretty certain I'll be getting an M109A3 for my first deuce. My plans for this are to convert the box into a RV section. I've got two that I am considering, just have to come to terms on which one to get.

However, of late I've become fixated on the crew cabbed deuce. So I figured I'd Photoshop a few M109's to have a crew cab and see what it'd be like.

I know there are lots of crew cab builds and have read through plenty of them, just have not seen any like this. I'm trying to minimize the work and therefore do not to bob the truck or cut the frame.

My questions are this:

1. Are there any flaws with my thinking?

2. Has anyone tried this?

Here's the concept pics: (I used a few random member trucks for test subjects)

Attachments

Last edited:
Interesting concept, but I get the feeling the modifications to the shelter box would be a nightmare. In my opinion, it would be much cooler if you could either get an M36 chassis to drop your crew cab onto and mount a standard M109 shelter box, or do a chassis stretch by joining 2 sections of deuce chassis together to form the correct length for crew cab and M109 shelter box.
Another SS member did a crew cab 6X6 with a standard troop bed by grafting 2 frame sections together to make the correct wheelbase and chassis length. Take what he built and trade the troop bed for the shelter box and there ya go! Of course it's gonna be herendously long so ya might as well add another foot or so and put on a winch too! (just in case)
:popcorn:

Attachments

I really like the idea! Great thinking, the only thing I would do differently is start with a longer wheel base truck like the m36a2 with a 109 box on the rear. If I could avoid cutting the box I would, there is already less space than you would think in an M109 box for a bunch of camper doodads (bed(s), generator, stove, fridge, kitchenette, table, seats yadayada) and you run out of room really fast. I could see space being an issue in your concept, but to each his own, if it is just one or two people I'm sure it would be worth the minor discomfort to have such a cool looking rig. I am sure the M109 guys will chime in on this one.
-GM

DUECE-COUPE

m36a2 crew cab with a m818 tire rack, and a 109 van body. you will definitely need a power steering system of some type, and i would single it up with A3 tires and wheels, or re-centered Hemit wheels

FatBuddhaBoo

@ RedBeard: Yeah, I read that thread, but I think in the end he took the M109 box off due to lack of power and stability. I hadn't thought much into cutting the box up, but it's all time and effort once you get into it.

@ General MacGregor: Yep, I would run out of room for a lot of stuff, but that's what the M105 trailer's for! [thumbzup]

I'll keep the concept alive alive for now... rofl

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
I have a m109 camper truck,I wouldnt cut anything out of the box.The 12' box is already tight enough as it is for making a decent camper.

zout

I do not know much about retrofitting the interior of a 109 to make a custom camper :whistle:
But what I would suggest is get up to the Georgia Rally - which is by the way coming up really frickin quick and check out ALL the members 109 interiors on how much actual room is inside of one to make what you want.

I just have to say ditto to Red - on the cab - keep the 109 box the same dimensions - if you go wacking it up like the pics you might as well get an old refrigerator cardboard box and weather seal it and mount it on the chassis - that is about how much room you will have.

My interiror totally sucks in mine - but there will be quite a few with awesome interiors and total rebuilds like the MDMorgans to the entire metal framework - so if you are going to hack on one - these are the folks you want to talk to.

Come to the Georgia Rally here in another 13 days and counting down.

FatBuddhaBoo

Here is what I would do, just me. :driver:
Cool, who's is that? Got a link?

Sure cutting the box will lose me some room, guess that's something I'll have to consider. Gonna take some measurements of what I have in mind to put in based on the blueprints for the box. Hopefully that will give me a better idea.

As for the Georgia Rally, that's the weekend I might go get my deuce, so dunno.

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree with CamoYJ7. The weight is a concern. My cargo truck is a hoot to drive, the camper is not. My van body is a little small and handles like a BlueBird school bus from the 70s. I would not cut it down.

Have you thought about an extended cab?

Danger Ranger

Take your time. Visit the rally and do research. Why rush and make a mistake? The rally only comes once a year...

And don't listen to Zout, that goober has a full-blown Bellagio hotel in that camper box.

Awesome Possum

I started out with a regular M35A2, then decided to put on an M109 box for a camper conversion. I've done a couple of bus conversions too, including a 40' cabover BlueBird. Drove tractor-trailer too, and I swear nothing scared me as much as driving that pseudo-109 (w/ super singles) on narrow country roads as that thing did! Now it's a Bob and LOTS more fun!

Attachments

FatBuddhaBoo

@ camoyj7 - Weight is my concern as well, plus the fact that I really don't want to get involved with stretching the frame, hence cutting the box.

@ henersond - cutting it down would be the only way to make it work this way --- or crew cab a M35 with out stretching and build my own custom box.

@ Danger Ranger - I'd love to get up to the GA Rally. However, other commitments might prevent that. I have seen plenty of pics on the inside to get an idea of how much space i am dealing with, but agreed, getting to see one in person would be beneficial.

@ Awesome Possum - don't think I'd have an M109 with super singles...maybe the A3 tires.

Thanks all for the input so far.

Blendmaster2002

Since weight is a concern why not use a cab over truck camper in what would be left of a regular deuce bed after crew cabbing and not stretching the frame or even use an m105 bed. It would be a lot lighter. I have an m185a3 same as an m109a3, the stock curb weight is around 16,800lbs, vs 13000lbs for an m35. Several members have put truck campers on their trucks and they camo right in and look pretty good to me, plus there removable if you ever want to use the bed. Look in the thread titled: Inexpensive camper/utiliy box for m35a2, for pictures and more info.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks