• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5-ton lug nut chamfer?

jrod66

I have searched, and I know I have read it here somewhere, but I cannot seem to find the chamfer angle for the 5 ton lug nuts, I am having new wheel centers made and I want to make sure I have the correct angle, thanks

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
go buy a lug nut and use an angle measurement tool to verify it's angle. It's not that hard to do.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Think you will find the the nut has a slight curve to the angle, it is not a flat angle, same with the rim, the hole has a slight dished in curve at the edge as though drilled with a BIG drill bit

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
And its not a straight taper either, pretty sure its a crowned angle.
If you mean the taper for the holes, I'm pretty sure they are straight but soon adopt that concave shape where the lug nut comes to seat. While tightening to 350 ft-lb or more these hardened nuts literally "roll" their shape into the soft-steel wheel.

G.

jrod66

^incorrect, if you look at the post of the picture above it shows a slight crown, I think it will be fine and adapt to the slight radius of the lug nut

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I made that drawing. What did you find is incorrect....?????

G.

Nothing wrong with your work from my perspective, quite impressive. I'm not sure that wheels aren't made with a flat taper either.
However I would have dimentioned the lug nut and not the height of the fitted lugnut, which will change subject to torque and wear of the hole as the nut seats in the taper and would have a tollerance not a finite size.
Wheel nut size.jpg

What program did you ues for the drg?

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good observation! Thanks!

Drawing updated & post #4 edited, accordingly: 0.75" for the fitted lug (PROTRUDING height) would be the "ideal" case, when NEW. And possibly down to 0.71", for a wheel that has been removed/ installed maybe 100 times...:)

My super-programm...: stupid simple (old) MS-Paint + sometimes Gimp2.6, for rotating stuff and measuring angles.... that's all it takes!(...and all I can do so far, in CAD)...;)

G.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks