• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M116A3 Dimensions?

USMC91

Hey guys,
I'm relatively new here, but have been reading a ton (prior to registering) and am considering a camping / dirt-bike / adventure trailer build based on an M116A3 chassis.

I'm building a 3D model to develop a layout, and have some fun ideas for the build, but I can't seem to find any decent dimensions for the trailer (frame, bed, fenders, etc.) to work from. So far, I've been working from information on the data plate and from various posts (e.g. 55" between fenders, etc.).

I don't currently have access to a trailer to go measure, so I was hoping someone on here might have, or be able to post, dimensions for the basic structural components.

I'll gladly post up images as I progress the (digital) build, and share the 3D files with anyone who wants them (I work in SolidWorks).

So far, just winging it on dimensions (SolidWorks is parametric, so I can adjust dimensions easily later) I've begun the basic structure of the trailer frame (see attached)

...can anyone help out? :grin:

Thanks!

Attachments

KsM715

Well to start you off, My 116a3 has about 45" between the fender wells. I can get you any other measurments you need on friday.

USMC91

Thanks Jeff, that would be great.

I'm really look for the basics (which being a newbie to these trailers, I know none of), like:

Size & thickness of the frame rail members
Frame chassis length & width
Bed Length & width (and thickness of the ends, it looks to be about 3", but I'd like to know)
Dimensions of the fenders.

That's really the key stuff, and I can work from there.

My concern with getting the chassis rails right is so I can plan placement of things like water tanks under the trailer bed (if possible) or potential tool storage, etc..

I'm also hoping to design a gate / step to work off the back of the trailer. :)

Thanks again for any help you can throw my way. ...and I love the truck in your avatar. Is that an M117 (I've never seen a hard-top version)?

KsM715

Its a M715. The hard top was installed by the fire dept. None of these trucks had hardtops.

Im offwork friday and I'll get some pics and measurements for you

USMC91

Hah, I need to engage my brain today; I meant M715 ...and if I'd looked at your screen name, I suppose the answer was pretty obvious!

Thanks again, I appreciate the help!

USMC91

Much appreciated! ...I really liked both of your builds; how has that 2nd trailer been treating you?

Have you decided to build it into something specific, or just keeping it as a general purpose platform?

USMC91

Wow, that is the most beautiful Power Wagon I've ever seen! ...I need a "drool" emoticon for that one!!!

If you have a few minutes, any chance you could measure the fenders themselves? Height off the frame (to the top of the fender)
Width
Length of the sections
Distance from the bottom of each end (to establish the angle)
...and just confirm that they are 45" between wells?

Again, very much appreciated!

KsM715

Wow, that is the most beautiful Power Wagon I've ever seen! ...I need a "drool" emoticon for that one!!!

If you have a few minutes, any chance you could measure the fenders themselves? Height off the frame (to the top of the fender) 10 7/8"-11"
Width 19"
Length of the sections From the leading edge to the trailing edgeof the fender along the bed is 36"
Distance from the bottom of each end (to establish the angle) The top of the fender is 23.5" long from leading edge to trailing edge and the slope of the fender 60 degrees ~
...and just confirm that they are 45" between wells? Actually 45.5"

Again, very much appreciated!

My trailer has a 96" long bed

Its 73.5" wide not including the 5" flare at the fender.

The fender starts 36" from the front of the bed and is 36" long along the bed leaving 24"s from the trailing edge of the fender to the back edge of the bed

Theres plentyof room to remove 3-4" of inner fender well to make it 51.5 to 53.5" between the fender wells and even more if you want to go to a skinnier tire.

Attachments

Last edited:

USMC91

Just a quick update. ...I haven't had as much time to work on this as I'd hope recently, but so far I'm just working on blocking out cabinet space.

I'm planning on keeping batteries and propane near the front, in a vented enclosure.

As the batteries are so short, relative to the Propane, I will most likely build a tray above them to store tie downs, etc.. ...the two halves of this cabinet will be divided and isolated from one another; I'd like to keep spark and propane separate (there is probably some code for doing it this way as well).

I'll post more as I get time to work on it. :) ...thanks again for all the help with trhe dimensions!

Attachments

mac3497

Does anyone know the interior dimensions of the m116a3 trailer box? I was looking around and I have found a few posts that say the cargo bed is the same as a m101. Is this true? The m101 dimensions I had gotten were 5 x 6. I am looking for a bigger bed preferably. I was told the m105 has a 6x9 bed. But it is much heavier. The m116 seems to be the in between size. Any help would be great thank you!!

KsM715

The m116 is the chassis alone or with a flat bed attached. If it has a cargo box it is an m101 variant. Are you wanting a flat bed type trailer or a cargo box?