• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

fold down camper box..

FatBuddhaBoo

Definitely a different concept, though not much different than that of a popup camper. Certainly would give one more room, though I'd be concerned about the durability, especially to weather a storm.

FatBuddhaBoo

Here is a heavy duty shelter built for the Canadian army. It comes in 10 & 20 foot version. The 10 ft. would be cool on a duece.
That thing looks awesome, and it's built for more than the Canadian Army! Had to Google it, and found out it's called "MECC" and is made by Weatherhaven. I bet it wouldn't be hard to adapt and create something like that with a little ingenuity and fabrication skills.

Last edited:

unclemikey

O.K. here are two ideas. Number one is a M-35 with a 15' Hi-Lo trailer mounted on the truck. Sits 2 1/2 feet lower than a slide in camper, yet expands to have loads of room. Still a bit of work to do, but is almost done now. Number two is a 900 series with a Trail Manor trailer mounted on. We just put this on about 2 weeks ago. The unit is 25' inside when expanded. Both units have ended up to work really super. Hard to believe, but the 900 series is less than 25% of the work that the M-35 was. Take a peek and see what you think.

Attachments

quickfarms

Nice, How are the campers mounted?

I was thinking about getting a 22 foot Hi Lo and mounting it on my truck by removing the axles, adding fork pockets, and adding ISO container fittings to the front and rear of the trailer to secure it to the existing container locks. This way the trailer would be easy to remove from the truck.

unclemikey

Tamangel,

Good eye! In regards to mounting the trailer unit on barkwards, there is a reason for the madness. The early trailers had both ends of the unit not vertical, but angled (see pics). In order to get the unit close to the cab I had to cut the trailer end off and rebuild the end to better fit the truck, and to be able to bring the trailer unit as far forward as possible. The front of the trailer was way to hard the redo, also the front round end would better suit the 45 angle fitting to the bed of the truck at the rear. The now near vertical rear end fits nice behind the cab. So.......backwards!

I have made a crew ladder ( sorry no pic ), but there is a pic of a 7' step ladder next to the truck. The ramps that cover the door are really traction ramps to be removed by pulling a pin for sand/ snow/mud whatever. They also serve to secure the door, also the camper unit can not be deployed while they are in place. When they are lowered out to the side it makes a good plateform to get in and out with. I call it my divingboard.

Attachments

unclemikey

Thanks Jesusgators,

Here are a few better pics of the ramps, closed and deployed. Hard to see, but at the bottom you can make out the lock pins to remove the setup The larger one ( 6 " above the bed rail ) locks the ramps to the side of the camper and can be padlocked. The lower pin just above the bed rail will allow you to pull the whole thing off to use when needed.

I forgot to metion that the camper unit sits above the truck bed, with access to the bed from a rear door, or from an inside hatchway. Lots of cargo area to have for a camper. The rear door will double as a work table and has a light mounted just inside above the table for night work. Very useful to have in the field. Thought you might get a kick out of it.

Attachments

tamangel

I like the under area cargo space alot..Space for all kinds of gear, tools, various tanks, other mechanical needs.. good photo details also..thanks..

did you ever consider starting the build by removing the deuce bed and continuing with a flat-bed or direct frame mount concept?

Mike W

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks