• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Shocks, M101A1 A2 A3 is there no part # available

Bladerunner426

After hours of searching for shock part numbers it seems as though no one has an answer for direct replacement shocks for M101 trailers. All advice points to taking the shocks in to napa or other parts stores and having them measure and order a replacement. This has not worked for me or any one els in other posts iv read. Some suggest cutting new shocks up and welding the old eye loops on to them. Some have ordered shocks that they claim work but never advertise the part # . These threads die out with people asking and not getting any response.
Is there no one out there who can help?

MatthewH

Unless somebody posts a part number, you may have to take your off and measure them. You want to measure the shock fully compressed and fully extended, usually to the center of the mounting hole in the bushing. Take those measurements to a good auto parts store and they should be able to cross those numbers with a shock. All else fails, take the shock with you and let them measure.

It works, bought shocks this way for custom application.

Good luck

Sierra51

Just put a pair of Rancho RS5006 shocks on my M101a2....the shock rubber bushing comes with 1/2" diameter center bore....used a 3/4" Lennox hole-saw to enlarge the bore to fit over the trailer shock mounting stud....couple squirts of silicon on the studs and they went right on....a big difference in the ride of the trailer....hope that helps you out....

Bladerunner,

I found this on a search. Don't know if this will help you.

NOS (New Old Stock) pair of shock absorbers for the M101A2 Trailer. These are made by Monroe, in the U.S.A, under special contract for the US Military (Part Number 7339464). NSN 2510-00-733-9464.

Maybe you can get a cross reference now.

Last edited:

SAL

This is my first post on S.S. and I would like to say hello. I have a 1968 M101A1 and replaced the shocks on it when it was restored . I replaced the shocks with Monroe #34828 Gas shocks. They were the closet to the size of the damaged ones that were on the trailer. You can use the link below to Monroe's web sit to compare shock sizes with there shocks. Hope its of some help.

http://www.monroe.com/assets/downloads/english/08_MountingLengthSheet.pdf

Sal

Last edited:

G I JOE

The Monroe 66413 is the closest shock I have found to the original. All the dimensions are within 1/2" of the original M101A2 shocks. Both ends have the L3 loop mount without the steel sleeve measuring 3/4" ID X 1-9/16 wide.

Joe

JoshN

NAPA Gas Grande Fleet Shock part # 76992 is a direct fit replacement for the M101a1 Shocks.

ChrisABQ07

I may have located a source for M101A3 NOS (more than 5 years old) shocks and bushings. The seller wants about $5 per bushing (4 per side) and $47 per shock. And tax. UPS shipped out of Minnesota from a government contractor.

Do you think this is worth pursuing? What the shelf life of a shock?

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Biggest difference is that the military shock is old school oil filled technology that is now obsolete. Everything nowadays is gas charged and will return, bounce back and give you a much better ride not just dampening like the old ones.

It is not that the shocks on most military trailers are bad unless they are leaking oil or bent, it is that compared to modern equivalents they don't really do much in comparison. You can compress an oil filled shock and it will not extend back to its original length like a gas charged product but still be good according to its original design.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just got around to changing mine today and used a monroe that is not as pricey but an exact fit and
function . I used monroe matic plus 32283 or napa rr 94148

If you need just bushings it is a monroe P575

The 76992 is a hd truck shock and much beefier than the stock if you want to upgrade but 2x $

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks