• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What's the best way to wire a 12v winch into my 5-ton?

dma251

I bought an 8000 lb. winch that I want to wire into a couple of quick-plugs on my 5-ton. One plug up near the front of the bed so I can use it for my manual crane, the other plug back by the rear for when I need some pulling power to load stuff to the bed. I think I may build an a-frame someday so I can use the winch to lift/lower from the back of the truck....

My problem is how do I wire this into the 24 volt system?

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
RE: What

With the amount of amperage needed for a winch I would suggest a separate alternator with batteries. Those 24-to-12 converters are not made for heavy duty stuff like a winch.

area52

RE: What

I think devilman did it on his buildup of his deuce. Doesn't look to hard to do, just a couple of mounts and a diferent belt arrangement. Best of all you can add additional 12v stuff like a cigarette lighter for in cab stuff.

dma251

Devilman's Deuce is going to be a different setup then on my NHC 250 - anyone know what alternator to use, and how easy the mounts are to fab up for the Cummins?

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
I don't think there is any guide for doing something like this. Those GM alternators that have been on just about everything would be a good bet. They are the civilian version of the CUCV alternator. Cheap and in junkyards everywhere. You might be able to just add a double pully to the current alternator, or you could just use an extra long belt to cover it. Mounts would have to be a custom jobby, and well that could be easy for you or not. Just don't hack on anything stock if you can help it, so you can always go back if you change plans. Look for places you can just bolt this onto.

I know there used to be lots of good how-tos out there on mounting york air conditioning compressor for use as onboard air for jeeps a couple years ago. That might be a good source of ideas on how to mount things.

mangus580

Check with Teds Trucks & Stuff, I think he has some of the dual voltage humvee alternators.... That would be your best bet.

dma251

How about rewiring the winch to 24 volt? Or maybe replace the motor with a 24 volt motor when I burn up the 12v motor!

Thanks for the tips. I'll look into the dual voltage alternators - I like that plan.

jwaller

couldnt you just grap power from one battery like the cold start system does. you can get 12V off our our trucks without anything special. the cold start system is 12v. just grab power in the same place is does.

Blythewoodjoe

I will have one of Ted's alternators in a few days. I plan to use a 12 pump for my dump (I have one sitting here at the house for free). I have always wanted a good source for 12 volt stuff and I plan to put another 6TL in a box with the pump and wire all that to the 2nd point on the alternator. I suspect it wound be enough juice to do much, but it should keep the 6TL charged and I don't plan to dump constantly. It's a good plan, but aren't they all.

I will report on how it works in a few weeks.

Joe Trapp

dma251

The winch is an REW8000 Chicago Electric which is a pretty cheap winch, b ut I was told it is the same thing as a PE8000 Milemarker, which looks IDENTICAL. Here's a couple of pics of each - the specs are the same too.

Anyone know if this is series wound? I have the spec book here, what am I looking for?

So it looks like three options -

1- Run it on 24 volts - it can take it (or it'll burn out and I get the 24v motor)

2- Run it off one battery, since I will be using it VERY rarely.

3- Get one of Ted's alternators (sounds like a good plan - how well do they mount up on the NHC250?)

Which one to choose.....

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have that same winch. I have had it for about 3 years. The original control switch failed as soon as i used it (elcheapo). I replaced it with a Warn controller/cord and socket that i had from a Warn 2500(atv Winch). I also added a control switch that I mounted directly on the plastic solenoid cover (I have forgotten the control cord one to many times!). I have pulled an 11000 lbs dozer(dead) onto my trailer with it, too many times (with one single snatch block). It has never let me down. For the price, I have already gotten my money's worth out of it and it still keeps going strong! Good luck BTW, if you don't plan on using it much, just get a battery to use with it and charge it back up when your done using the winch. I have a boat battery that i use for multiple things including my winch. I mounted mine so I could use it in a 2" hitch receiver. I mounted a 2" hitch receiver on the front of my trailer. I also made one up that i can bolt down to the bed of a truck.

jeli

Won't running a 12V motor or starter on 24V make it spin faster? In a pinch I'll jump a 6V tractor with a 12V. They spin faster but heat up quick. If the winch turns faster the pulling capacity should be lower.

If you aren't going to use it much I'd pull 12V off one of the normal batteries and just not have the engine running. It should have enough reserve to pull unless it's bitter cold out.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I hate to ope this can of worms, but taping into one of the batteries will kill both of them. With a small load it is not noticeable, with a winch load, it will fail pretty soon. I like the first option the best.

gbooth

I have the exact same winch in back of my truck I use it to load and unload my Mule or trailer I run it off one battery have never had a problem But I only run the winch with the truck running. It will as you say run one battery down but my max usage at the most be 5 minutes and that is only once a day when I use the truck I am going on my second year with this setup.

jwaller

while running a winch you will have to have the engine running while pulling any kind of load to stop from discharging the batteries. Most high load winches will need 2 batteries anyway.

dma251

The specs say this motor is a "permanent Magnet" motor. Is this able to be rewired for 24v? MileMarker shows a 24v option on this winch (at least the MileMarker version) so maybe they have a 24v motor available for it.