• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wooden floor in M37

Jesse19rap

Hello everyone,

Has anyone ever saw, or installed a wooden floor in a Dodge M37? I need to replace my bed floor on my truck so I plan to put in a wooden floor. I figure the wood would look great with the troop seats and bed rails. My Dad and I have a small saw mill so I have the luxury of being able cut my own planks for the floor. I know a lot of you prefer 100% original but by doing this I won't compromise the ability to go back to a metal floor should I want too. I will post some pictures once I get the old rusty bottom removed.

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is the truck going to live outside or inside? If it is going to live outside the wood will probably hold water and rot / rust things faster.

I had a M-37 (waaaaay back in the mid 70s) that had a wooden flat bed on the back with wooden removeable sideboards. It was a great modification for a general purpose (farm/rural) type truck.

Regretted selling that truck for the next 5 years until I got my current truck. Still wish I hadn't sold it though...........

Storm 51

Jesse19rap

I expect it to live a fairly dry and pampered life. Outside of the skid strips and bolts it should be a fairly inexpensive to do. I plan on sealing it with marine poly/epoxy

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What kind of wood do you plan on using?

Last summer at an old tractor / threshing show I saw a late 1940's civilian power wagon with true 2 inch thick, wide plank, teak flat bed and headache rack. The bed was absolutely gorgeous (and probably worth more than the truck). The guy who owned it was running the portable saw mill at the show. He had some beautiful wood (4 to 5 foot diameter butts) he was cutting up. I should've taken a picture but I didn't have my phone or camera.

Storm 51

Jesse19rap

I have my choice of Oak, Maple or Walnut. I've never done one before but have read most use Maple or Oak. I assume the main reason for this is its good hard wood that is fairly easily to find. I'm leaning toward using the Walnut simply because i love the look of it and plan to make it dark and slightly subtle. No Chrome for this project! I plan on matching troop seats and bed rails to the floor as well. Should be unique!

wdbtchr

I prefer white oak personally because it's hard and holds up well. Wallnut is more easily damaged, but if you're going to store it out of the weather it boils down to what makes you the most happy .

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Walnut would be exquisite! Matching seats and side rails would really be beautiful! I would really encourage you to use walnut (especially a nice grainy dark walnut).

Oak will just turn black if it gets wet and maple, while hard, is just rather plain, and it will turn yellow in the sun; walnut however, will look great with your truck painted a nice 24087 green.

Please post pictures as you do this. I'd love to see it.

Good Luck with your project!

Storm 51

Jesse19rap

Thanks for the votes of confidence Fella's! I was reluctant to post this simply because everyone seems to prefer the 100% stock stuff. I think its down to Walnut or Oak but I really like the look of Walnuts coarse grain. New bed supports are in, now I gotta start cutting the wood. How thick are the planks usually? I can cut them as thick as I want.....

I also plan on painting the steel skid strips OD green to draw it all together.

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The truck I had with a wooden bed had "car decking". As I recall it was 2 or 3 inches thick (true dimension) and tongue & groove.

I'd make it at least 2 inches thick. That's just me though ("when in doubt, make it stout").

Storm 51

MatthewH

Sounds like a cool idea. I like the idea of walnut, just like the look better. Thought about doing a wood floor in my M37, but ran out of time, and the metal one was faster. Kudos for the idea, hope it turns out well.

Jesse19rap

So begins the project

Here are some beginning pictures. Don't mind the crooked brace at the top, they are all just roughed in at the moment. The bed is on edge right now because we had to fix a piece of farm equipment. Spoke to a guy, Bruce Horkey out of Minnesota, and got some great info. Once i get the supports mounted i'll be sending him dimensions for the skid strips. Great guy btw!

2012-12-01_09-57-37_294 (2).jpg2012-12-01_09-57-49_884.jpg2012-12-01_09-58-03_489.jpg

Jesse19rap

2012-09-08_15-38-13_294.jpg2012-09-08_15-38-30_47.jpg2013-03-02_16-48-42_211.jpg20130310_151116.jpg20130310_151137.jpg

Hello everyone, I know this has been a long time coming but we've been working on getting the truck running so that it can be moved easily. These are pictures of our old Sears and Roebuck saw mill and the subsequent walnut planks that I cut for my M37. I varnished up a small sample piece to illustrate the look I am shooting for. Ultimately I intend on making the troop seats to match the bed floor. I will try to keep everyone posted as i make progress.

zout

Check this product out: http://www.keypolymer.com/transportation-products/original/

We use this all the time on semi trailer flooring to keep water intrusion out from the underside. Forklifts can run on it without damaging it. They slide pallets on it continually without fail. It is a Part A and Part B epoxy coating. This is the product the WC I am putting back together at this time will get on its new flooring kit. The board around the shifter will also get done in this product.

FWIW

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
God that looks good. I just purchased an M37 that worked for the City of Hampton Roads in VA. Between the salt air, sand, and the stuff the city hauled in the bed, my bed looks like swiss cheese. I will have to come up with something- I want troop seats also.

zout

Ole timers like us used Boiled Linseed Oil - only one holdback. It spontaneously combusts with a lack of oxygen. Meaning after you put it on with a rag and toss that rag in a corner with hardly any ventilation it will self combust.

Jesse19rap

Zout, I like the Key polymer route! I will pass on the linseed oil, haha. Burning down my Dad's shop would be veeery bad!

Matthew,
I used a guy named Bob out of Minnesota who cut me custom slats and even punched the carriage bolt holes. It was a painless process and he pocesses a wealth of knowledge. Reasonable prices as well.
http://www.horkeyswoodandparts.com/

Jesse19rap

Hey Matt!

Well I ran into quite the issue. Despite the fact that my engine seemed to be running okay..... further inspection showed that the motor is pretty much beyond repair. 1 and 6 are both scored really badly. Whoever drove it before me drove it with gas in the oil and that created all sorts of damage. I've since pulled the motor and now I'm debating on keeping it stock or repowering with a Cummins, Hercules or the alike. The wood panels are cut, sized and simply need varnished up and installed. Thanks again for the toolbox pans, we were very impressed with your craftsmanship. They are welded in and fit great! I hope to make progress on her soon.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks