• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M211 Holley 885-FFG rebuild help.

redthegreendog

Just a quick question if anyone has any experience doing a rebuild on one of these carbs.
Bought a kit for it. It is the correct one, to answer that question.

When installing the Booster piston. Is there anything special or any trick to help it fit in the booster port.
Any way to prepare the piston. The carb has been completely cleaned before rebuild.

I installed mine in the carb but it will not go down into the port, nor will it move with the linkage attached to the throttle arm.

Any ideas or tricks that might help.

P.S. I have looked everywhere on the site and in the TM and Holley Manuel, but no tips found so fare.

Thanks AJ

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You may need to soak the piston in oil or gas to get it pliable again. It should go in and out easily.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
2012 G749 Carbs

Besides dried out or shrunken rubber parts, leaving a washer or a seal at the bottom of the hole is the only thing that I have seen go wrong.

There are a few SS carb links in the search but can't find anything solving this.

The CARB guru's will chime in. Some things just aren't covered in the manuals so let us know how you get past this. I need to re-build a few carbs.

Where did you get your carb kit and are NOS kits still available?

http://www.carburetor-parts.com/Holley_885_FFG_Carburetor_Kit_p/4125.htm
http://www.carbkitsource.com/carbs/kits/CK553.htm

holley 885-ffg info

http://www.oldcarmanualproject.com/...content/MCarbHoll885_1957_B164_index_0005.htm

Parts break-down photos.

Attachments

xxx1234

I rebuilt one for a M135 a couple months ago and had thesame problem. My new piston came from a carb repair kit off e-bay. I soaked thepiston in oil, but it still did not move smoothly. I ended up reusing theoriginal piston.

My accelerator pump check ball was also not the correct size and I cleaned upand reused the original. Everything else fit nicely.

redthegreendog

I got the kit off ebay. Everything fits good except the piston.
My only problem is I cant reuse the original piston, the cup was dry rotted and missing a chunk out of it.
The only reason I ordered the kit was to get a new piston.

Thanks for the feed back guys

SturmTyger380

I got the e-bay kit as well and just completed my carb. I had to reuse my power piston as well. My old one was it really good shape but I could not figure out how to get that new one to fit. I could force it down in the hole but how was it ever going to move up or down. Next is to mount it back on the truck. Here are some pics of mine.

Attachments

SturmTyger380

Yes the leather is too loose. It will slide down inside the hole but when it reaches the narrower part near the bottom it gets too tight. So tight you have to use pliers to get it out.

redthegreendog

I had the same problem Sturmtyger.
I spooked the piston in a cap full of gas.
Then took the spring under it off. Put it on today and the truck ran great.
Try it and see if it works for you.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks