• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Red's deuce/camper project

red

uploadfromtaptalk1427764735222.jpg

Got it.

Also learned that the adjustment screw on my FDC does not have a Allen slot. Turning the nut does not rotate the screw on mine, just moves it in/out.

Yes, I set it back to where it was.

red

All back together, fires up with the pedal floored. Idle has dropped to 700rpm, was at 1,000 before. Idle is a little too low for when the truck is cold, stalls out.

red

Drove the truck about 30 miles today to my friends welding shop. With the MUST shelter in I can eventually get to 55mph, but 50 is more common. Sustained EGT's of 1000-1100 with the throttle lock maxed (travels further than my pedal).

The welder is building the bed roller, and (time permitting) the plumbing for the hx35 turbo.

Last edited:

red

As I mentioned to some of the guys at the Texas rally I've decided to sell the MUST shelter. One of my roommates bought it and I'll be dropping it off at his hunting land on Wednesday.

Was concerned about the tall flat front and its effect on fuel economy/speed. Plus I don't have the time to set it up how I want before the move to Washington in about a week.

Going with the cargo top/bows and will be camping out of the truck bed. The m105 trailer is already loaded and just about ready for the trip.

red

uploadfromtaptalk1428181413101.jpg

Great find today at a friends place. Traded a few of the stock NDT tires/wheels for a set of hubs. One works just needs a new o ring. The other needs a new plastic piece (or some JB weld).

Another Ahab

View attachment 552520

Welder is almost done making the bed roller. 2 center supports to attach, and modification of the tailgate hinges are required
That'a a great idea. Don't remember now if you already talked it through:

- Is the tailgate mod to swing it clear for full use of the roller?

Not quite picturing that part (but not claiming genius of any kind either).

red

That'a a great idea. Don't remember now if you already talked it through:

- Is the tailgate mod to swing it clear for full use of the roller?

Not quite picturing that part (but not claiming genius of any kind either).
Eventually yes. Will require some major cutting into the tailgate to do that. For now though just going to make the tailgate removable.

red

My plan is to keep the truck versatile, so I can't have the camper as a permanent install.

I want to have multiple platforms that I can load/unload as needed.
Long term expedition
Weekend hauler (dirt bikes, tent, parts)
Maybe a gun truck platform for events
Others as needed/wanted

red

Got back a few hours ago. The bed roller and winch work great. Camper is unloaded and I'll clean the bed out in a day or 2.

During the drive had 3 issues develop. 1. Front passenger brake suddenly started grabbing, loosened it up and all was well (guessing dirt got inside).

2. Small air leak from one of the orange hoses. I'll replace it with the DOT hose as well. Compressor also randomly spit oil all over the side of the engine/bay.

3. I've usually had some trouble starting the truck when its been sitting for more than a few hours, but it got ridiculous over the last 2 days. Fuel system keeps losing prime. Haven't mounted a gauge yet but the in tank fuel pump has gotten much quieter than it used to be, just as the really hard starting developed. I also can't get over 2200 rpm, began at the same time. EGT's and power dropped as well.

So new fuel pump, a new hose, bath, brake inspection, and throwing in a new fuel cap (oring has seen better days, probably part of the fuel priming issue). Considering I've put about 3k miles on it since last July when I bought it, pretty good.

red

IMG_20150408_135457676.jpg
IMG_20150408_142308423.jpg
IMG_20150408_145106681.jpg

Sorry no pics during the unloading, was in the cab of the truck working. The winch and bed roller did great. Broke a mount on the shelter but nothing crazy

red

IMG_20150410_095452483_HDR.jpg

Pic of the inside mess that came from the compressor. Not sure why yet, and it wasn't a constant issue either. Just randomly spit out about half a quart of oil early on in the drive.

Cleanup and a wash first. Then onto the air lines and fuel system.

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With that roller, one of those 18,000 lb MRAP winches mounted at the front of the bed is almost a requirement.

red

I have a little 4500 pound from Mile Marker sitting there right now. So far it works great, will upgrade if necessary. Going to run a heavy chain for a snatch block mount to double the rating when required.

uploadfromtaptalk1428688774057.jpg

Mounted a pressure gauge on the tank. 5-6psi with the power on. Gotta double check but 11-13psi is where it should be if I remember right. Ran about 80-gallons of fuel, at least 60 was diesel over the last 3 days.
uploadfromtaptalk1428688819474.jpg