• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

"Rescued" M816 Wrecker

red

Really wish I had recorded the wrecker this morning. Had to shimmy the wrecker out from between the deuce and the garage, looked like Austin Powers when he had the golf cart stuck in the hallway hahaha.

IMG_20151121_154300249.jpg

After the wrecker was free I parked it next to the deuce. Used it today to remove the bed, cab, and some other items from the deuce that were sold.

IMG_20151121_130646692_HDR.jpg
IMG_20151121_152326822.jpg
IMG_20151121_130655317_HDR.jpg

Afterwards picked up the frame and moved it to the front of the driveway. Cleaned up, parked the wrecker, and reinstalled the canvas/bows since we wont be using the truck for awhile.

IMG_20151121_162943248_HDR.jpg
IMG_20151121_171914719_HDR.jpg

wcuhillbilly

Ok,,,, Thats not nearly a big enough oil slick in the driveway to have tore apart a duece......:rules: We have to have it at least running down the drive and into the street....... Just so the HOA can complain, and we get another thread about how HOA's are out of control.......... ( Im only poking fun of course)

red

Haha to keep complaints down is why the exhaust stack is facing the wrong way. The wrecker has a few seeping oil leaks and a steady drip from the crane PTO shafts lower CV joint while being used.

red

Weather showed signs of warmth today so did some work for the wrecker. Installed the upgraded air filter setup from Those Military Guys. Also removed the 6 MRAP wheels from the 395's, headed out in a few weeks to trade the wheels. Checked the torque rods on the rear suspension, passed the test from the TM's so good there.

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah buddy! Real good news on the torque rods.

Red, ya need to change a setting in Tapatalk to upload to SS instead of the Tapatalk server (why we only see just links to pictures instead of pictures).

Edit:
For the folks who don't want to follow the links to the pictures, here are red's most excellent pictures:
395s_wheel_dismount_01.jpg 395s_wheel_dismount_02.jpg 395s_wheel_dismount_03.jpg 395s_wheel_dismount_04.jpg 395s_wheel_dismount_05.jpg

Last edited:

Another Ahab

Weather showed signs of warmth today so did some work for the wrecker. Also removed the 6 MRAP wheels from the 395's
I'm glad it's you working on those wheels and not me, Mr. red:

- Just LOOKING at that first pic of all those big-a** tires on the deck made my back sore....OUCH

back.jpg

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lets just say that from the tire handling and wheel dismounting I'm back to wearing my wrist brace from a yard work-induced bad sprain last summer.

Red's tire work really wasn't bad, really, it wasn't, just "old" injuries acting up. Two people is the charm for working on MV stuff!

Just make sure you use some oil on the bead and let it sit for a few minutes. We actually used PB Blaster sprayed around the wheel lip and tire. Helps the tire slide off the wheel.

Last edited:

red

Spring fever is hitting, so making some progress on the projects this weekend.

Will be running dual spring seat bases with MRAP jump seats in the wrecker, make for a more comfortable ride. I used these seats in my old soft top deuce without much clearance issue. Learned during install that the hard top will make for more of a challenge.

To have a comfortable position and not cut the seat on the cab I'll have to angle the rear mount of the seat up by about 1 1/2 inches.

Also installed the better seat shock from Those Military Guys in the driver seat. Definitely not as bouncy of a ride, and more difficult to bottom the seat out (I'm 165 pounds).

Planning to recover a m51 dump truck in about a month using the m816. Fluid changes, wheel/395's swap, and inspecting the hub ends before that. Will be the first time in awhile the wrecker had been on the road.

red

Much more comfy than stock. Reclined back some compared to the original seats, and tall enough for a headrest. Does bring your thighs closer to the steering wheel though.

Should have the truck on 395's in 3 weeks. Will open up the hubs at that point to repack the bearings and inspect the brakes. They work great right now but I'll be driving about 130 miles, 40 ish with the m51 behind it and it's been a long time since the hubs were inspected.