• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

8,620 lbs of gravel

MDSA

Hauled 8,620 lbs of gravel home with the Deuce. The gravel hardly covered the bed. I expected the Deuce to "feel" heavy, but she handled fine except for hills - turtle slow.

Had to remove an old basketball pole before spreqading the gravel. I thought it would come out easily, but it turned out to be 4' in the ground. After bending the pole and then snapping my chain on the second try, I jacked it out.

Attachments

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Heck, you are still under the 5 ton limit. I've been weighed at 30,000lbs with gravel, and truck weighs 15,000lbs... And was really slow getting up to speed. Doesn't bottom out the springs, but rides much different. Stopping wasn't a problem, just tried to stop early. And can never have enough extra gravel around.

How long to unload it?:-D Here's a pic of 13,000lbs of gravel.

Attachments

OD_Coyote

I have hauled ~8k lbs of gravel in my deuce too and she steers and rides real nice with that much weight in the back. The only part I did not like was unloading it with a shovel.:-D

mangus580

Its even more fun when you are in the mud!

Attachments

tjcouch

Here's my gravel/shovel post from way-back.

I just made two trips from the recycled concrete plant - one at 4.5 tons and one at 5 tons. And yes unloading rock by hand is no fun at all.

I wish I could keep a couple tons in the back all of the time! It was like driving a Cadillac De Ville! :lol: :wink:

sorry for the cameraphone pic.
Steel Soldiers::Military Vehicles Supersite

Attachments

Last edited:

Dodgeman1941

I've done approx 14,000 with mine twice. The first time with 9.00's and the second with the 11.00's. Huge difference. The 9.00's were squating quite a bit and the truck looked like is was loaded heavy. With the 11.00 you could hardly tell there was any weight. Yes, shoveling it all out sucks!

offroaddiesel

nice pics guys ,but i have 1 question for mangus, what are you trying to build ,pic 2 your roof truces need a little more support there , dont you think steve from western maine

mangus580

A buddy of mine was adding on to his shop. I dont recall (it was like 3 years ago now) but I am pretty sure they were still putting trusses up that day.... I remember someone being way up in the 'rafters' while I was there.

Lifer

In Memorial
In Memorial
Getting back to "load capacity," I once hauled 3 1/2 tons (7,000 lbs) of reject limestone from the quarry where I worked to my dad's house, 60 miles away, with a 1941 Chevy 3/4 ton pickup. The truck handled the load okay. The tires did not! The old 6-ply tires I started out with on the rear lasted about a mile...just long enough to get me into town. I bought a pair of much better used tires on the back and replaced the spare while I was at it. I had to change one of those before I got to my dad's, leaving me with no spare. No more tire problems until after we got unloaded, when I ran over a screwdriver in the driveway and had to buy another well-used tire to get me home. Lessons learned: (1) start out with good tires in the first place, and (2) don't overload them!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks