• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Kingpins

GoHot229

WellI had to change the rubber C V joint zipper type boots. At least a 2-3 hour job I'd say, per side. What a bear to install the new ones, especially the small clamp side or inner clamp.....! Well as I had the covers off of the kingpin, two top and two bottom, I could go no further. One thing I noticed is that each kingpin had two slots, like a big screwdriver or a double side by side bladed screwdriver or special tool would fit. I was wondering if they were concentric...for camber or ? Finally coaxed the boots and clamps on, but still wonder about what the kingpin slots were all about? One thing that makes the job easier is to wipe out as much grease as you can, and have someone that can turn the steesing wheel back and forth as you call out which way to turn the wheels, and patience is a must.Man am I glad thats over with....!!!

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I always assumed those slots were to allow grease to flow from the zerk fitting to the sides lubricating the bushings.

jwaller

the slots are so that the grease can go from top to bottom easier. if you plan on replacing them like I did you will not be able to get new ones with those slots. all the new bushing have those slots deleted. I've been told it's bc the new ones don't need as much lube.

ekdee1

Replaced my king pin bushings...eriksmilitarysurplus has the correct bushing. Be aware that you will need a hand reamer to custom fit each bushing, and a good press and bushing insertion tools to get them in and out.