• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What can an M35a2 Tow

panzerjunky

Hello Gents
I am thinking of buying an M561 (gamagoat) it is aprox 7500 lb can the deuce tow this via a tow bar ( providing the Goat can be flat towed) or can the deuce handle it trailered?
Thanks Jerry

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Jerry,

Can it do it, techically it is only suppose to go 6000 pounds towed load. Has it been done before? Absolutely. Folks tow one deuce with another all the time and that's more weight. .

Can't stress it enough to consult the TM's before doing it. It's more than just flopping on the towbar and going. Don't know the gamma goat tm but here;'s the others. Very good reading while on the toilet (LOL)

http://www.olive-drab.com/archive/od_tm9_4910_496_10_towbar.pdf
http://old.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?module=pagesetter&type=file&func=get&tid=1&fid=file&pid=15

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Operating the deuce with a trailer and/or towing is poorly covered in the -10 TM IMHO, can't blame people for asking. Check the PS magazine section for more info.
I towed the xm757 from OK to VA .... slow going in the hills,but it did it.

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would recommend that you do not towbar a Gama Goat. I would trailer it.

The goats steering does not "self-center" or follow through. Also, there is no easy way to disconnect the driveline(you could pull the brakedrums).

Last edited:

Marlboro

I pulled my buddies m816 with the deuce... Slow and steady but it saved lotsa money, cause i don't charge a hook fee like the local wrecker co. would have.

Getting up and going won't be as bad as stopping, use common sence, and give the old girl a work out!

combat32

I pulled a trailer house for my neighbor, sure is hard to make a corner with one, should have took some pics it was kind of funny looking.I don't think there is any question the deuce could tow it, the question is how it would act, might do fine, never flat towed one when I was in, seems we always had a wrecker around, ahh the good old days,and the fuel was free too!

Last edited:

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Heaviest I towed with a deuce was another deuce. Actually I used a non-winch truck to pull a winch truck, so the towed load was about 500-600 lbs. heavier than the towing truck.

As far as trailers, the heaviest I pulled was a 10K lb. laundry trailer with all the laundry equipment on it.

Both loads were heavy, and you felt the drag behind you. On hills, you slowed to 25 mph easy. I would not recommend more than that for a long drive, both of these tows were about 100 miles. The laundry trailer was really designed for a 5-ton truck....

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We routinely tow a tri-axle home made trailer with farm tractors weighing up to 11,600 on it. The trailer weighs about 3,000 pounds. No problems with hills, etc. with fuel turned up and good sense driving it by watching boost pressures, stopping distance etc. I have never felt the brakes were inadequate.
Regards Marti

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Its not an M35a2,

but it should still count. You want to know what one will tow? how about a 150ton locomotive with 6 90ton stone hoppers behind it? Our only locomotive died on the barge, and we had to get it unloaded. I happened to drive the deuce to work that day. So that makes 690 tons. or 1,380,000 pounds. :twisted: Once it all started rolling we were good to go. I jumped out and took these pics with my phone right before we hooked up.

I should get an award or something... :driver:

PS we had a guy in the locomotive to control the brakes, it still had enough air on it. I know someone would ask that!

Attachments

Last edited:

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Despite the low friction coefficient between metal wheels and railroad tracks etc. etc. this was an impressive feat! Is there a gradient as well? One would think that it gently slopes down into the barge.

Its not an M35a2,

but it should still count. You want to know what one will tow? how about a 150ton locomotive with 6 90ton stone hoppers behind it? Our only locomotive died on the barge, and we had to get it unloaded. I happened to drive the deuce to work that day. So that makes 690 tons. or 1,380,000 pounds. :twisted: Once it all started rolling we were good to go. I jumped out and took these pics with my phone right before we hooked up.

I should get an award or something... :driver:

PS we had a guy in the locomotive to control the brakes, it still had enough air on it. I know someone would ask that!

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cattle, I do believe it was a slight upgrade off the barge, it was fully loaded which puts it low in the water. I didn't even think about that...

rat4spd

Horsepower really has not much to do with it. It's all torque through gear reduction. If you had enough time and gear reduction, you could move that with a briggs and stratton from your lawn mower.

Your supertankers run maybe 6500#/HP at a fairly good clip, which is about what that locomotive will pull.

Last edited:

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Like Frodo, I have also towed a large trailer with a dolly behind the deuce. It is slower, but as long as the trailer/towed truck brakes work you will be ok. Just give yourself lots of stopping room and be careful.

Attachments