• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

rubber electrical connectors

Westex

I'm going to wire in some 24volt service lights off of a wrecker to my Deuce, and I ordered the female 12 guage rubber connectors from Saturn Surplus. They arrived today and have the connectors, the rubber boot, and a little brass washer. Anybody know where the washer is supposed to go? Looks to big in diameter to just ram down into the boot?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Crimp and solder.

Whats the deal with the turret heads? Can you get by with just the basic AF-8 and no turret for Packard/Douglas MV type connectors?

Last edited:

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The only problem with soldering is the wicking of solder up the wire, which stiffens it and makes it less vibration proof...the wire may break under those conditions.
Using the correct crimping tool will do the job alone. The original equipment is crimped only.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

steelandcanvas

The only problem with soldering is the wicking of solder up the wire, which stiffens it and makes it less vibration proof...the wire may break under those conditions.
Using the correct crimping tool will do the job alone. The original equipment is crimped only.
Very good point Bjorn.

Last edited:

Dodge man

Per USAF Basic Electronics School, Kessler AFB, Ms; You're supposed to use a little spring loaded clip to clamp the wire next to the insulation. It stops the solder from wicking up inside the insulation and making the wire subject to breaking. The clip looks about like an alligator clip but the blades are perperdicular to the wire and have a small notch in them for the wire to go through. I expect that you can make one from a flattened out alligator clip. Notch size isn't critical but you may need several if you work on very small or very large wire. Ours were made of aluminium to keep solder from sticking to them but the cheap steel alligator clips should work fine for that.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Reads like a heat sink, should be aluminum for heat conductivity and used for small parts like diodes, small transistors etc.
Probably wouldn't be effective it the insulation is butted up against the terminal.
In any case, a crimping tool used correctly will do the job, wire strands aligned right, right amount of insulation removed, right pressure and so on.
If a solder paste is used, there may be corrosive issues also...

Carl_in_NH

Since this crimped connection is inside the weather-tight rubber boot, there should be no need for solder in the connection - provided it is crimped correctly, making the connection between the wire and the connector barrel 'gas tight'.

If, for instance, you were using exposed civi type lugs or butt connectors that are in the weather, then I've always used a crimp to hold things together while applying the correct amount of solder to the joint. I've not had issues with too much wicking up the wire and making it break later on - but YMMV. Applying too much solder is the common fault to avoid.

papakb

There are a couple of companies that make crimp tools for the military bullet connectors. I think that Daniels manufacturing makes one of the best but they're pretty pricey new. The best place to find them is either at electronic surplus stores or eBay. They make a nice 4 point crimp that just doesn't let go.

Soldering is not the way to attach these vehicle connectors. Soldering has 2 disadvantages in military vehicles. First off, the wire doesn't solder well because it's not pure copper like most electrical wiring. Secondly, soldering makes a rigid connection and any motion or vibration will eventually cause the wired to break at the solder connection.

When I assemble them I like to use a lubricant made by Dow Corning called DC-4. It's available from McMaster-Carr and has to great properties. First it's a lubricant that makes assembly easier and it also keeps the rubber soft and pliable. I've also used it to soften older hardened connectors to get them apart.

Years ago I bought connectors from a company in Illinois. That company is now in Rio Rico, Az. Here's their website link: http://www.gillman.com/

Here are the contact part numbers:

male MS27142-2

female MS27144-1

I didn't buy any shells from them but they should have them available too.

Kurt Lesser
MVCC President

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks