• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cut open coolant filter from the deuce

Rattlehead

I installed a coolant filter 1 year ago, approximately 1000+ miles ago. Took it off today and cut it open, lots of brown goop. Keep in mind that in the past 5 years my coolant has been changed 2x, with the last time getting a new radiator at the same time the filter was installed.

The pics didn't turn out so good, but you get the idea. The stuff that can be seen doesn't include what came out of it when I drained it before cutting it open. The stuff on the paper is what came out with a few taps on the floor. Coolant filters are a good thing!

Attachments

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
You know if you are selling coolant filter setups you have a sale from me. That is nasty. What does your setup look like? I want to filter just about everything on my truck, and this would be a good step.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That almost looks like gelling. It's what happens when two different coolant types are used that aren't compatable, e. glycol and p. glycol or ELC and e. or p glycol. Yuck! Does it stink?

Rattlehead

Ethan,
Here is the link that shows my setup

http://steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=10238&highlight=

I don't want to get into producing anything to sell, as I don't seem to have enough time to even do my own stuff! But you can get a coolant filter head from Napa or a heavy truck parts house. Mine is just bolted to 2 pieces of angle iron attached to the bottom of the heater core shelf, very simple. Plumb it in parallel to your heater core, not in series, or you won't get any heat. They don't flow that much volume even when clean.

Bjorn, have you changed yours since you installed it? Curious to how much crud you see. I was surprised it was this much, especially with the new radiator. Will probably change it this time next year, and hopefully see much less in it.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dave, I got my third filter today after your reminder. :)
$13.00 at Napa here for the 4070.

I have not cut them open in the past, but will do this one, should be a winner with some 10,000 miles on it. :oops:

Rattlehead

Will, as long as I have had the truck its had low silicate (diesel) ethylene glycol. It didn't stink, I think it was just a large accumulation from being the first coolant filter installed on it.

Thanks Bjorn, good to have a comparison. Looks like you still pulled quite a bit of stuff from the system. I am hoping I see mine get better on the next one or 2. I may not wait another year to do the next filter change.

m109guy

I know this is a little bit of an old thread but I was wondering if anyone happened to have found a filter assembly at NAPA that does the job? I have been searching the site, and have read how other members have installed similar filters, but none describe how they did it and what they used exactly.

I know I can buy the above kit from a couple places in the US, but after looking at the prices, plus the shipping, the exchange rate, then customs fees, I found it to be pretty expensive (I am in Canada). I am sure I could get one at the local NAPA dealer for a lot less.

So has anyone found one with a part number I could go look at ordering? If not I will go spend some time pouring over the books with the NAPA guy and see what we can find ;)

Thanks in advance.

wdbtchr

I just picked one up from O'Reilly's today. The Wix filter base kit is Wix 24019, cost $46.99 and the Wix Filter 24072 with conditioner was $20.99.

I also picked up a Wix 24911 remote fuel water filter(2 micron rated) to use as a polishing filter on my WMO transfer pump setup. I'm going to pipe it in so I can bypass it for transfering oil to storage, and put it in when pumping to the fuel tank. The kit with filter was $68.99. The main Baldwin filter on the setup is a 20 micron I think, uses two Schroeder K25 cartridges.

Banshee365

Just a quick question. Seriously, how important is super clean coolant on the multifuel. I own a 2005 6.0 powerstroke diesel so I know how important clean coolant can be to a diesel. The 6.0 is plagued with EGR and OIL COOLER problems caused by factory coolant with left over casting sand from manufacturing clogging the coolers causing them to fail. This, in turn, leaks coolant into the cylinders and blows the head gaskets. I'm putting together a home made coolant filter kit for my truck as well as a thorough coolant flush with some simple green. With that being said...

When I replaced the coolant in my deuce mud came out of the lower radiator hose. I couldn't hardly fill, run, and drain enough times to get the coolant clean. It's way better than it was but still ended up coming out a little brown. How important is a coolant filter on the multifuel compared to just a good flush and fill with the correct spec coolant with the additives required for diesel engines?

-Kelly

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi, Im has a heater and I want to install a filter, Is the top hose the out going to the heater or the bottom?
The coolant flows from the top of the engine to the water pump (and to the heater and coolant filter, if plumbed in). The returns from the heater and filter go to the water pump.
Follow the arrows on the heater and filter head. The inside of a filter element is always the output.
Note: Some of the images in past posts (mine) may not be clear on this, so go by the arrows.

Small point perhaps, but if a coolant heater is installed, the coolant flows by convection in the opposite direction and to prevent accumulated sludge from going back into the coolant, install a shut-off cock in the filter hose and keep it off when the heater is on...

Edit: Right click on the image and "open link in new window" for full resolution.

Attachments

Last edited:

antennaclimber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After finding two clogged water passages in the heads during a recent head gasket repair, I wanted to see what was in the coolant filter. Not too bad but still trapped some sludge.
I flushed the system a year ago and installed a new filter system at that time.

The people at the local NAPA tell me that the NAPA#4071 filter has the SCA in it.
The filter pictured here is a #4070, it does not have the SCA.
Karl

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks