• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What do you list a 1028 contact truck for the title???

JohnFire

Hi folks, Just bought a 1028 contact maintenance truck off Gov Liquidation and I am working on the title paperwork. What do you list for the model and body style? I was going to put K30 and utility but don't know if that is would be the correct way to list it.

This is an 1984 - M1028 Body with 18,071 miles on it. The frame and cab are really clean of any rust, the box has some dents the I will need to work out and one door to replace that they banged up, and then did some cutting on the inside of it so the tool box would fit. I am planning on stripping the light bar off of it and the beacon. Will be for sale when I get back from a 6mo contract as will the 24V starter.

My other CUCV is a 1986 - M1009 which now has 59,000 miles on it. I will bedoing some bodywork on this when I get the chance. Also will be selling the 24v starter and an alternator maybe both when I get back as well as the resistor block and nato plug. Yes folks I converted it to 12v system, cause I was tired of messing with the 24v system especially when you need a jump. I was overseas while my dad had to deal with a constant battery issue, and so I converted it and put in a Kussmaul battery charger with auto eject. Which the block heater is tied to the same plug connection with a switch.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RE: I will get better pics on later

Looks good John. Welcome to SS!! I looked at those trucks on GL. Some of them were pretty hacked up on the inside. Does yours still have the welder/generator? Did you get any tools in the boxes?

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am going to guess that it does not have the welder/generator because it is not a true M1031...it does not have the correct t-case to be an M1031. Also, it has the Dodge contact maintenance body off of an M880 series truck.

Nice truck...good luck...and I agree with Chris S...don't give them more info than they need to know.

citizensoldier

Hey Bruce.. How do you tell the differnce between the boxes? I am in need of the hub, belt, and shaft that runs the generator on these if anyone has a parts M1031 around. I have also seen some that the generator has its own little engine? Whats the story on these? Thanks ahead of time

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Post pics of the forward most compartment..

The short story..
The Army when they went from the 880's to CUCV's would take off the contact bodies off the the old M880 trucks and put them on M1031 chassis.. These "grafted" trucks had the BIG generator/arcwelder that was all self contained..

When they awarded contract later on for more M1031's with contact bodies, they spec'ed out the 1031 to have the PTO and the contact body with the PTO driven (and much smaller) arcwelder/genny.

Whats your data plate say on the chassis? M1031 or M1028? It's possible it was a 1028 they took the bed off of and put the contact body on.. With the NG units, you never know what you will get, as some do some very interesting cost savings things...

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The easiest way to tell is by the tail lights. The Dodge bodies have the older style round lights and the Chevy bodies have the more square lights. CUCVFAN has additional descriptive info to help ID the two different bodies...

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
citizensoldier said:
Hey Bruce.. How do you tell the differnce between the boxes? I am in need of the hub, belt, and shaft that runs the generator on these if anyone has a parts M1031 around. I have also seen some that the generator has its own little engine? Whats the story on these? Thanks ahead of time
Quickest wat to tell from the side: a Dodge body has a compartment in front of the rear tires. It drops back down lower than the "wheelwell". The Chevy body goes striaight to the cab and the fuel tank is clearly visible....

1956_4x4

My research has found that the pto driven generator in the 1031 is not also an arc welder. There is a spot to plug in an arc welder on the panel, but it is a seperate unit.

I looked for a long time to find the cables that worked off that panel on the 1031 before I found out the truth. I was used to the 887 that had the plug in cables. I solved my problem by installing a mig welder.

Smitty

JohnFire

Ok, Thank you, that is what I will list it as is a K30 pickup. All of the latches should be replaced, and one door is kinda banged up, and a few dents here and there but the cab has one little dent. The frame has is really clean with the original coating on it, no real rust at all. The truck came with some tools, drill, prybars, electrical cors, vice, air hose, tool box and a few other small odds and ends. The emblem must be that of the 102 maintenance in brooklyn, new york. I found some paperwork in the cab that is from it's last pcms in feb 2006. I will take more pictures tommorrow. I have been able to get it started. While running through the TM checks about why it wasn't starting. I used a break bleeder to prime the fuel up to the filter and then primed it the same way on the other side of the air bleeder. A few more cranks and it fired right up. So generally it is running an all it cost me was 2 batteries, which I bought for $75 bucks. There is a small leak on the fuel hose on the inlet side of the filter. All the oil changes and everything else will come after I get back in 6 months.

Attachments

JohnFire

oh looks like I need to get the dash off to check the vin plate, cause the door vin and the sticker in the glove box don't match. Also where should it say M1028 on the data plate? the body differences would make sense cause the main data plate say gvw 9800lbs the box plate says gvw 8000lbs

AJMBLAZER

You shouldn't have to take the dash off to see the VIN plate...unless somehow the dash has shifted?

Just my standard warning but just tell the DMV and your insurance company it's a 198x Chevy K30 pickup. They will probably give you static about the VIN not being correct but politely explain it's a 198x Chevy K30 pickup that they made for the military and that's the reason for the special VIN character. I had to do this with my insurance company and even bring it in so they could see it and take some pictures to mollify the adjusters. At the MI Secretary of State's Office I had to actually show the guy in his "Big Book O' VIN's" how to read the VIN. A lot of that industry's VIN software and catalogs don't seem to cover anything but normal civilian production vehicle VIN's.

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
JohnFire said:
oh looks like I need to get the dash off to check the vin plate, cause the door vin and the sticker in the glove box don't match. Also where should it say M1028 on the data plate? the body differences would make sense cause the main data plate say gvw 9800lbs the box plate says gvw 8000lbs
Unless it looks like the door jamb plate was replaced, I would tend to believe it over the glove box - the glove box is much easier to switch. However, checking the dash tag is the best. The M1028 ID plate plate will be on the lower flat interior surface of the drivers door (near the louvers). It's the weight/dimension and tiedown data plate. Also, the plate on the door jamb with the contract number should have a GVW of 9400, not 9800. The NSN should be 2320-01-127-5077 for an M1028.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine a 1986 model has the 1028 tags. It came with the miller welder/8k genset and aircompressor still in it. Not to mention about #5000 of tools!!! It also has the NP205 transfercase. But no PTO mounted on it. I got a 1028 bed from M1075 and will be installing it soon.

JohnFire

opps sorry about the typo, it does say 9400lbs gvw. They put a dash cover on it an that has shifted. Plus the plate is pretty rusty so it is hard to read. I know all too well about the insurance company's being idiots with mil vin #'s. I had my M1009 in germany for almost 2 years where I bought it before comming back to the US. I had gotten Progressive when I returned stateside, after a couple months they started sending me letters saying they were going to drop my insurance. I called them and they said that the vin wasn't matching their data base for vins. I explained that it had been a military vehicle. They said they can't insure a vehicle of that size, where I said it was the same a civy k5 blazer and they became a broken record of they can't insure a vehicle of that size since it was a military vehicle. Talk about moron's, bet they would insure an escalade. So thanks to USAA I have been insured ever since ;). It was no problem.

Attachments

GM72K10

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I actually bid on your truck. You got a nice one there, good luck. I bought a similar one back in April that now has a pickup box on it. An M1028A1 with a NP205 transfer case. Have put 300 miles on it in the last week. Only had 6700 miles when I got it and it runs like a champ. great trucks!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks