• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

PTO seals

madsam

Does that PTO seal kit work for the 5 ton too? The description said it is for the M35 PTO. Are they the same PTO?

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A lot of parts are NOT interchangeable but seals and boots are! Same shift shaft diam. 11/16", same front(winch) output shaft diam. 1 1/4", same bearing and seal retainer, rear output unit (pump) is identical for both. What else do you want to know? :roll:

devilman96

Joel,

You can take the seals out with out removing the shaft if you have the box out on the bench. It takes steady hands to remove the retaining rings for the boots and if your not careful you will damage the shaft or PTO body. (screwdriver and hammer)

Once you have those out you simply use a small drill bit to drill a pilot hole in the seal body. Then run a sheet meal screw into the hole and pry the seal out with a pair of plyers or wire cutters.

As for diffrences in 2.5 and 5 tons... There are two diffrent boxes floating around out there. Ether can be found on ether size trucks as the parts are mostly interchangeable. The only variation effecting resealing ether box is the front output shaft seal which are diffrent sizes. The only way one will know what they have is to take it apart and find out. (unless someone has a buncha spec data on the two)

The up side is that one is VERY common (which is what I have in the kit) and the other size in quite uncommon from what I've seen thus far... I found this out as my truck has one of the "uncommon" seals.