• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101A2 wheels

McGuyver

Hello all,

can anyone tell me a good source for obtaining some M101A2 steel wheels? I'm assuming these take an 8 lug, 9/16" stud, on 6.5" bolt circle pattern. Do you know what if any offset these wheels have? Are these the same as what was used on the M1008 CUCV's? If that is the case, would a standard steel wheel from an `80's Chevy truck sourced from the wrecking yard work?
Last of all, on a related question, can a Denman NDT 9.00-16 tire be mounted on an A2 wheel? I can't forsee any reason why not, but since I'm removing them off of lock ring BUDD wheels, I thought I'd ask. Although they were run with tubes on the BUDD wheels, they are tubeless tires, so should work without, right?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm kinda sure you are not supposed to mount a tube type tire (which is the 9.00-16) on a tubeless rim and just inflate it like any other.

McGuyver

Hmmm... well what do you know, the new Denman NDT I bought about 8 years ago is "tubeless" (as I correctly remembered), but the old NDT on the curb side is a "tube type" (or is that "tube tyre"?)

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the tire says "tubeless", you can mount it that way. The caveat being that its bead hasn't been damaged when it was on the two piece wheel, and it leaks.

I remember when "Tubeless" was just coming out, they were often mounted on "tube type wheels".

McGuyver

If the tire says "tubeless", you can mount it that way. The caveat being that its bead hasn't been damaged when it was on the two piece wheel, and it leaks.

I remember when "Tubeless" was just coming out, they were often mounted on "tube type wheels".
So here's an idea: is there anything wrong with running a tube on a wheel and tire that are made to go tubeless?

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So here's an idea: is there anything wrong with running a tube on a wheel and tire that are made to go tubeless?

When there were real tire techs, It was common to salvage a tire by patching it and then using a tube for integrity. Problem is now most folks don't have a clue on how to work/mount a tire with tube. Nothing in the last 40 years plus has oe tubes unless farm/industrial/ or hd.

Answer is yes but you got to find an old timer or a commercial hd tire store.

McGuyver

So I could take the NDT tires off the old lock ring wheels and put them on a modern tubeless tire wheel? Thanks for the input.

McGuyver

Thanks Tim. I'll have a look around local first. If I can't find anything I'll contact you. Thanks again for selling me the A2 axle.

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good. That will match my tow vehicle perfectly, thanks.
Maybe.
They interchange with my '86 Chevy CUCV just fine, but the CUCV and M101A2 wheels interfere with the brake calipers on the front of my 2001 Chev Express Van. The van wheels fit the M101a2 trailer with no problem. Backspace may be an issue depending on the tow vehicle.

McGuyver

Maybe.
They interchange with my '86 Chevy CUCV just fine, but the CUCV and M101A2 wheels interfere with the brake calipers on the front of my 2001 Chev Express Van. The van wheels fit the M101a2 trailer with no problem. Backspace may be an issue depending on the tow vehicle.
My goal is to be able to use the spare tire from my tow vehicle, so I don't have to carry a separate one in the trailer. My tow vehicle is a 2000 Dodge Cummins. It has eight 9/16" studs on a 6.5" Bolt circle.
So as long as my truck's spare tire fits on the trailer, I should be okay, right?

Last edited:

McGuyver

I'm going to go to a place like IFA to get the tires off the lock ring wheels anyway ( they have a safety cage for lock ring wheels), so I could have them mount the tubed tires on the new tubeless wheels at the same time.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks