• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101A2 axle capacity

McGuyver

I was cleaning up my axle today, getting ready to paint it and I noticed it had a data plate covered over with paint. So I put some paint stripper on and found this:

Capacity 2700M
What does 2700M stand for? Everything on this axle seems to suggest it's a 6,000 or 7,000 lb rated axle, from the 3" diameter tube, to the 12"X2" brakes, and the 8 lug hubs with 9/16" studs. So it seems strange to me if this number means it is only rated for 2700 pounds. Unless the "M" stands for "Military", which may indicate it is designed with a larger safety factor than an equivalent commercial trailer axle? I know the data plate on the trailer lists a max weight of 3590 lbs on the highway, and 2840 lbs cross country, so maybe these numbers are similarly down rated from what an equivalent commercial trailer would be rated for? Any ideas?
1101data.jpg
P.S. I'm posting this from Tapatalk, so please bear with me on the link to the picture.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please attach photos, not link them.

This can be done with tapatalk

Also a suggestion, you have started 5 threads on your M101 trailer recently.

It usually is much more helpful to post one complete thread where we can follow what your doing(instead of asking about studs in one, brakes in another and such.

Basically, your trailer is a project right now, it's easier to follow and help when we see the big picture.

Last edited by a moderator:

McGuyver

I did a little searching last night, and found a reference that seemed to hint that there is a difference between axle rating and capacity. I'll try to find it and post it here.
Edit: here it is
http://www.randpcarriages.com/trailer-technical-information--axle-chart
So it's not explicitly stated, but I believe these trailers have a #42 spindle on them, which is what a 5200 - 7000 lb axle uses. One of these charts says that spindle has a "capacity" of 2500 or 2600 lbs.
Still not clear to me what the difference is. I always understood the "rating" to be the axle GAWR. But I'm scratching my head over what this "capacity" is.

Last edited:

McGuyver

Doghead,
Did a little more checking and I think I might be able to upload a picture from Tapatalk if I attach it as an attachment instead of a picture. Did this work?
20170311_142753.jpg

McGuyver

Ok, good to know. I'll attach pictures that way from now on.

Last edited:

McGuyver

Not really. Not to my satisfaction anyway. I called Dexter and they had very limited records. They told me that it was built in plant 11 in April 1984 (that is the 110484 part of the serial number). The 2700 is supposed to be some kind of weight capacity, but I still don't know exactly what it represents and they weren't much help in that regard as their records didn't give any clues. I should note that the gal I spoke to sincerely tried to help, but she came up short. My best guess is it's either a spindle capacity (2700lb per side, 5400 total) or it's an off road total capacity (vs. Highway). That would make sense since these are supposed to be rated for 1500 lbs cargo capacity off road. That would leave about 1200lb for the weight of the trailer...

Last edited:

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That Axle and components are heavier than that as you already pointed out.
Brakes alone point to a 7k Axle.

Kinda surprises me that they were not very helpful with that number.
Dexter is a great company and is always helpful. At least they tried.

Thanks for the info

McGuyver

That Axle and components are heavier than that as you already pointed out.
Brakes alone point to a 7k Axle.

Kinda surprises me that they were not very helpful with that number.
Dexter is a great company and is always helpful. At least they tried.

Thanks for the info
Yeah, I agree. The tube diameter, spindle size, brakes, hubs, and stud size all point to a 5200 - 7000 lb capacity axle. It's probably down rated quite a bit for off road travel, thus the "M" designation (military).

Last edited:

LanceRobson

Well, I won't make any claim to being an expert on trailer axles but here's what I do know from recent personal experience.

Dexter axles are ALL made to order. You specify the beam length, diameter, spindle type, brake wiring, brake mounting flange, stud number, diameter, thread pitch and centers, brake size and type, spring seat centers, any camber, E-Z lube or standard spindles etc. If you call Dexter with a recent axle serial number they will tell you all about it on the spot however Dexter did not have computerized records for each axle until much later than 1984. I suspect that if you were willing to risk your head exploding you could look up the specs of the NSN for the axle beam but remember the specification for an MRE chocolate chip cookie is almost 20 pages long.......

If a trailer manufacturer, parts store or online seller has axles in stock it's because they ordered an agreed upon buyers part number or they specified the entire axle bit by bit. Most stock axles have the spring seats loose so they can be welded on as desired so take the info below on spring seat centers to heart, please.

A 3" axle tube would point to a 3,500 pound or heavier axle beam rating and DOES NOT infer any particular rating without much more information. A 3" axle beam can have any of several wall thicknesses each having a different nominal rating for a particular length and overhang.

And the single biggest variable in the actual working load rating will be the overhang from the spring seats to the hub face. The longer the overhang the lower the actual weight rating regardless of beam diameter or wall thickness. To determine the overhang measure the hub face to hub face length and subtract the spring seat center to center distance. The combined overhang on the left and right sides is the axle overhang.

12x2" brakes will generally be rated for up to a maximum of 7,000 pounds per axle but are also stock for many 5,200 pound axles and can be mounted on 3,500 pound axles by simply ordering the five hole brake mounting flange on the axle in place of the more standard 4 hole on 2-7/8" centers brake mounting flange seen on most 3,500 pound axles.

As an example of how much can change from the nominal axle rating when you have all of the dimensions we recently had to replace the front axle under my cargo trailer. It's a 7,000 pound rated trailer so all I need is a 3,500 pound axle, right? Well, let's see here.....

The hub face to hub face length is 94.65", the axle has a 4" drop, the spring seats are on the bottom of the axle, I need 10x2/4" electric self adjusting brakes and E-Z lube spindles and all I have to do is buy one off the shelf with the loose spring seats and weld the spring seats on. Or maybe not....

In this case the spring seats are on 70" centers leaving an overhang of 24.65". Any overhang more than 17" for this particular length axle de-rates the axle carrying capacity and in my case the 2-3/8" tube would have been de-rated to 2,556 pounds. I don't want to make my 7,000 pound trailer into a 5,200 pound trailer so I need a 3" axle beam. Simple, huh?

But, as they say in the infomercials "Wait!! There's more!!" Now, because if the 4" drop and the way those axle ends twist on the axle beam when combined with the long overhanging ends they recommend a slightly thicker axle beam wall. So in this case the overhang and drop at the spindles require a larger axle diameter and thicker wall and my original choice of a 2-3/8" axle has become a 3" axle with a heavier than normal wall.

Clearly, reading the axle weight rating may not be all you need to know as in my case the D35 2-3/8" axles could have been shipped with loose spring seats and a weight rating tag showing a 3,500 pound rating but when I welded the seats at 70" OC the axle would have become a 2,556 pound axle without anyone reading the label knowing it. Or maybe without me knowing it either.....

In short, I strongly advise that to be very careful when determining the actual safe axle rating. In the case of they M101A2 trailer I suspect (but sure can't prove) that the axle was ordered as a complete assembly with welded spring seats that was ready to bolt to the springs and that any weight rating on the axle is accurate. But I also suspect that the already stated idea that the axle was re-rated from any civilian equivalent due to off road use is an accurate one and none of us have an easy and accurate way to translate that to a standard on-road axle rating.

BTW, the correct 3" axle with the thicker wall was only $40 more than the dangerously under-rated one I would have had if I had just assumed that any 3,500 pound axle would do the job..... If I had added a parking brake feature that would have added a total of about $200 to the installation for the upgraded brakes, cables and handle. I'm kicking myself now for not adding them when I had the chance.

Lance

McGuyver

Excellent write-up Lance Robson! At the risk of an exploding head, yes I think I would be interested in reading up on that NSN for the axle... are you referring to a specification document?

LanceRobson

Excellent write-up Lance Robson! At the risk of an exploding head, yes I think I would be interested in reading up on that NSN for the axle... are you referring to a specification document?

Yes, sometimes if you search for an NSN and then do some digging you can get to either a table of basic specs or the entire spec document that usually gets into mind numbing detail.

Lance

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks