• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1007 Suburban CUCV Conversion

Rickyoday

I've had a couple requests to post info and pictures of my Suburban conversion, and I think this is the place to do it.
I've had many CUCV"s over the years, but hadn't seen one that would fit the entire family( in air conditioned comfort). Then out of the blue a friend tells me he has an '86 Suburban for sale, 3/4 ton, 4X4, 6.2L diesel. Perfect! It had 33" tires on it(bald), and aluminum mags, with re-arched springs (with extra leaves) to give it a 4" lift.
I bought a parts M1009, for all the bolt on parts, and bought 5 M1008 rims and 5 new Firestones to get a correct military look. I went over the entire truck replacing/repairing the mechanical systems. I removed the front bucket seats, and replaced it with a bench seat, and had New Life Canvas make me custom canvas seat covers for the bench seat, and the rear split seat.
I removed all carpeting, insulation, door panel carpeting, headliners etc. The floor was prepped and given 2 coats of rolled on Herculiner, from the firewall to the rear door sill. I also coated the door sills to prevent slipping while getting into the truck. This has worked out very well except where I've worn thru the Herculiner with my heel at the accelerator pedal. I recovered the previously carpeted rear passenger door panels with canvas, and used CUCV door panels for the front doors. The Suburban has power windows and locks, so I "hid" the switches under the armrests.
The Suburban had a 4 headlight set-up, so I used the M1009 radiator support and grille to switch to 2 headlights. The wiring harness is still "4 headlamp", so the only problem left is the high beam indicator is on on low beam, and I just can't get it to work any other way.
I set the M1007 up as a "Convoy Command & Control" vehicle, so I have an RT-524/ R-422 radios, as well as CB, Uniden Police Scanner, and Motorola 800mhz Maxtrac radios. These are mounted on the driver's side of the truck, due to the spare tire wheel well being on that side, and the M1009 spare tire mount being on the passenger side. I also mounted the pioneer tool rack, and fuel can mount on the passenger side. I mounted cargo hooks in the floor, and footman loops secured straps everywhere. I don't want to get whacked in the head by any flying gear in an accident!
The radio controls are secured with the proper equipment on the dash, since I removed the welded on bracket from the donor M1009, and installed it in the M1007. Also mounted the radio tables, first aid kit, spare fuel can, etc., with parts from the donor M1009.

I spent an hour typing this post out, and when I hit preview, I lost 3/4 of the post when it said I had to log in again...I guess the website timed me out. I'll leave it at this, and if you have any questions, ask 'em!
Thanks for the great, informative site!
Rick

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's a great looking truck there, I don't care if it wasn't issue equipment. Bet it turns some heads in rush hour!

Mike_Pop

If any of you get a chance to meet Rick and his M1007, make sure you do so. The work he did on this truck is superb and he is one helluva great guy.

Thanks for posting the pics Rick!

Rickyoday

Hi Tom,
Thanks! The pioneer tool rack is from an M35 Series truck, and I fabbed aluminum brackets to mount it. It's out of the way, but still accessable.
I have a 5 jerry can rack that mounts on the front brush gaurd that I'll take pics of Monday, and add to this post. Everytime I see a "bell or whistle" I can add to the truck, I get it! In my opiniom, you can never have too much "gear" hanging on an MV.
Rick

CCATLETT1984

Rickyoday said:
I spent an hour typing this post out, and when I hit preview, I lost 3/4 of the post when it said I had to log in again...I guess the website timed me out. I'll leave it at this, and if you have any questions, ask 'em!
Thanks for the great, informative site!
Rick
For long posts what we recommend is to either type it in notepad and paste it into the box here on the site, or to copy it all after typing before you click submit. Just in case it has timed out, you can just paste it back into the box and not lose a thing.

Michael

RE: Re: M1007 Suburban CUCV Conversion

For long posts what we recommend is to either type it in notepad and paste it into the box here on the site, or to copy it all after typing before you click submit. Just in case it has timed out, you can just paste it back into the box and not lose a thing.
Thats good advice until you are sitting there looking at the log in screen. But it is your site, so if you don't want people to know how I do it, I will have to learn to live with it.

Rickyoday

RE: Re: M1007 Suburban CUCV Conversion

Hi CCATLETT1984,
Yeah, I learned that the hard way! I'm not a very fast typer, and it was late, so I let it go with an "email any questions" ending. I've been doing the cut and paste ever since then...thanks for the tip!
Rick

86-1ton

how did i miss this post...!?

man that is a BEAUTIFUL suburban... coming from one 'full size' chevy guy to another...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks