• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Big Tires and O.D. Iron Wheels are On.

DanMartin

100dollarman said:
Chris and Dan- both trucks look great!
Thanks man! Even I was skeptical at first, but I'm very happy how they turned out. Mike (ODIron) makes a great wheel...I would highly recommend them to anyone looking to put big meats on a deuce. Great quality, good strength, decent price, and good looks.

Note also that these wheels can be mounted on a deuce without needing to swap the hubs...and they line up nearly perfectly front-to-back. Great design thanks to help from Gringeltaube (credit where credit is due!).

Pick yourself up a set of these wheels...you'll be glad you did.

dm22630

Re: RE: Big Tires and O.D. Iron Wheels are On.

Offroadfabworks said:
isnt the front tires supposed to be on opposite sides so it dont sit out so far?
If they were in farther......could you turn the wheel? :shock:

Do they rub the way they are now?

alphadeltaromeo

RE: Re: RE: Big Tires and O.D. Iron Wheels are On.

I like the wide stance look...makes it look more like a 5 ton. Plus, you won't tip over when you take a sharp turn :lol:

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
wreckerman893 said:
I think Offy is right......the rims on front should be mounted opposite of the rears.....unless I am missing something.
No, you are not.... and Offroadfabworks is correct!

Sorry, just saw the pics...

1) Tires will never line up if mounted that way!
2) The kingpins, bushings and bearings are not designed for that extra leverage and strain and will wear out soon!
3) Tires won't rub! If mounted correctly backspace is only 8.5" compared to A3 wheels with 10.5".
4) It just doesn't look right to me... but it's the owner who decides!

G.

desertfox

Steel Soldiers Supporter
2 of us got together and purchased 12 rims and tires from Mike. Should be here any day. Seeing all the pics and comments on all the thread posts we are really getting excited.
Next order of business from Mike will be the oil filter kits.
OBW, did you have your rims powder coated?

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
bbbang said:
Hi: I appreciate the input. I will eat my Wheaties and switch the front tires around and see how it works. Chris
Just finished eating mine, while "painting" a bit.... hope you don't mind... :)

BTW, your front track will reduce almost 10" (!!!), that's the difference between "normal" and flipped of these wheels.

G.

Attachments

KaiserM109

RE: Re: Big Tires and O.D. Iron Wheels are On.

Those are directional tires and are put on correctly for an all-wheel drive vehicle. Just a thought, what if you turned the front wheels around the other way?

Have you ever noticed that equipment like road graders often put directional tires on the front, but they put them on the other-way-around. The reason is that they are not driving on those wheels and turning the tires around greatly increases steering traction. If you did that on a deuce, you would reduce the front traction in an off-road all-wheel drive situation, but would improve driving traction when you are on the highway without the front locked in.

This came to mind because I remember from the days when I wore green to work that what we then called "Tactical Tires" were terrible on slick roads. I am watching links like this because I intend to do something similar to my 109 deuce.