• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help needed identifying M813

Blythewoodjoe

OK guys, I have found the problem with our M813 and now runs like a champ. For the last couple of years it has sat around and was really hard to crank. It was a fuel leak on a little 1/4" plastic line all this time. Fixed that and it can sit for days and fire right up with a few seconds of turning over. Wow.

Now the only thing left to do is get a title. State law in SC requires that I provide the year make, manufacturer and so forth to get a title. The DMV doesn't agree with this, which is why I have a lawyer friend helping me. But that's another story.

I have found a number on the frame rail right at the power steering unit. I wont post it here yet unless some of you guys need it but it is:

Four numbers, then an "S" in a circle, then three number.

Is this the serial number and if so what can it tell us about the year and manufacturer of this truck. There is no number stamped on the ID tag in the cab. Which of these numbers do I need to post here for you guys to help me. Also pictured is the front bumper numbers.

Also it's a former Marine truck.

Thanks
Joe Trapp

Attachments

Last edited:

Blythewoodjoe

OK, I am going to the DMV this week and need some more info.

On the frame next to the steering box is some numbers. Does any one know what they mean. I have the location pictured below. What I need more than anything is the manufacturer and the year of make. This truck was "rebuilt" perhaps in 91 as a USMC truck so I don't think there would be info about the date of manufacture on the axles and so forth. I will also post a better picture of the bumper numbers below too. No info on the data plate but there is a date on the "rebuild" tag with a USMC serial number. I have erased the 3 middle numbers in the picture of the serial number. I am trying to get as much info as possible to apply for a title. Thanks, Joe.

Attachments

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There must be a date of manufacture on the frame somewhere. Are there any numbers on the passenger side of the frame?? Any frame numbers I have seen have been VERY faint, so you've really got to look for them.

If you could at least figure out the date, you could build a VIN from that and the serial number. Worst case you could pick a 5-ton VIN from a data plate pic on GL and insert your serial number, though it would be nice to know the date was accurate (or , at least close).

Blythewoodjoe

OK, I have another angle on getting a title for our truck and what I need to know if who made the M813's and when where they made. Anybody know of a place to read up on the history of this model?

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On a Marine truck, the USMC5##### actually is your official VIN. They were built by AM General. Texas didn't have that in their system, but asked me if it was the same as American Motors, I replied "Of course!".
If it might help narrow down the year, mine starts with 521 and is a 1973.

Cheers

M813A1

To get the year of MFG look on the left front corner of the engine there is the Cummins data tag and it will have a year of MFG and that will be close to the truck MFG that is what I used to register my M813A1 here in Oklahoma !! the stamped number on the frame it is part of the whole number !! My frame # started with C137 -****-**** that is the second half of my Vin that is what was stamped into the frame !! Do you have the SF-97 ?? It should have a serial number on it that is the first part of your serial number then the rest of the number is the stamped number !!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks