• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Aircraft tug question??

timerak

I know this probably isn't the correct spot to post this question......but I'm looking for any information on a Coleman aircraft tug/industrial tractor. I believe it was built for the air force. Its a model numer A/S 32U-18. any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

pilot

If it is the MB4 type I have some manuals and parts books some where. The MB4 has 4 wheel drive and 4 wheel steering and came with at least 4 different engines through the years.
Greg

timerak

This unit has a v-8. I was told it's a Chrysler 440. That might make it a mid 60s unit. It has a #60,000 Tulsa hyd winch behind the cab. Looks like a factory install. I figure it could push a 12' snow blade at an airport. The price is right!Any info would be appreciated.
Tim....

pilot

Tug

My MB4 did not have a winch and none I have looked at had winches. If you had a picture I could tell you if it is a different type. Mine had dome type covers on the front wheel hubs. I agree they would make a neat snowplow.
Greg

timerak

I haven't aquired this yet. It's got a bit of snow blocking it in and its -29f right now. I'll get some pics up soon. It has 14x20 tires and the wheels look to be standard the standard 10 hole type.
Tim....

Elwenil

I don't think a 440 would fit in one of those without serious modification. The hood looks awfully narrow. I have seen a few of those for sale and all seem to have an inline 6 cyl.

Pappa-G

The MB4 that I used back in the mid-late 80's was a Chevy truck cab and powered with a 6.2L diesel. It had reduction gears at each hub, 4wheel steering and were permanently in 4wd low range. I towed any thing from twin seat trainers to C-130's with the MB4. They had a top speed of maybe 25mph with the frames mounted directly a 3"chunk of rubber on the axels, that was it for suspension. The seat belts were used to keep your head from smacking the top of the cab when you hit a bump.

pilot

The one I owned had the same cab and general appearance but lighter running gear and no winch. Now I wish I had it back as a snowplow. What I do remember is thinking coleman is out of business but fortunately the tugs are built like a kitcar,a lot of common components. Good luck with it.

Greg

timerak

I commited to buying it. I hav'nt got it started yet. It will be used as a snow plow at an airport or just push anything thats in my way! It was built it 64 so I think the engine is a 440 industrial.

Elwenil

The 440 didn't exist in 1964 so unless it was replaced, it's probably a 361, 413 or 426. Naturally anything could have been put in there over the years. To ID the engine, look on top of the engine right behind the water pump tot he driver's side. If there is a pad there like in the pic below, it is a tall deck RB series engine (413, 426, 440). Note the location of the last bolt to the driver's side on the valley pan clamp bar in the pic to help locate the pad. If there is no pad in this location it is a low deck B series engine (350,361,383,400) and you can find the ID pad near the distributor. The pad is at an angle behind the distributor, machined at the same angle as the head mounting surface. Either way it is a big block and the CID will be stamped on that pad as in the pic. I wouldn't hold your breath on seeing the "HP" like in the pic as that denoted a High Performance engine, lol.

Attachments

tamangel

one just ended on ebay:
American-Coleman Airport tug 4 wheel drive & steer 4x4
ebay Item number: 180318972709
reserve not met at $1230.00 USD w/ 12 bids
(buy it now price was $2500.00 USD)

This is a large tug built by, The American Coleman Company of Littleton Colorado. It has a flat head Chrysler 6 cylinder with a push button auto transmission. It has a lever inside the cab to control the 4 wheel steer and a lever to lock and unlock transfer case. This truck runs and drives great. Starts and just purrs. It has brand new 11.00 - 20 tires on it that have been siped also and a set of four chains , one per wheel. It has pentle hook ups on front and back. I could go on and on, So if you have any questions feel free to ask away.
The Engine was built by , Chrysler Industrial Engine
model # 30
type # 1373-1
serial# 231265
The odommeter reads- 04191
The hourmeter reads- 3521
The tire size is- 11.00-20

answers to questions posed:
weight: 12000 lbs
This was a tug to pull 737's ect.
low geared. I beleive it goes along pretty good. 35- 45 mph.
it is 7' 6'' wide x 13' 6'' long.
Parts are still available for these because the parts are the same as other vehicles or trucks. They used the axles brakes ect on a lot of different trucks, not just american-colemans.

Mike

Attachments

tamangel

and another one ended:
PSI Mobile Products Aircraft Tug, 4X4, 4W Steer, Diesel
ebay tem number: 110333991918
buy itnow price was $6750.00 USD unknown if sold for that prices as was sold off ebay..

The powertrain combination is as rugged as they come. The Perkins Turbo Diesel engine ignites right away, it has an even idle, and it delivers serious torque to easily power the truck. The gears engage properly, they shift easily, and they pull impressively. The differentials, with planetary gears, are serious torque monsters! They pull with unquestionable strength!

The body on this truck is also in exceptional condition. The bodylines are straight, the paint is healthy and shiny all around, the windshield has no cracks, chips, or bull’s eyes, and the seats have no tears. Everything is functioning on this truck! The powertrain performs strong, all the lights (markers, signals, headlights, indicators, warning lamps, flood, hazard, beacon, etc.) are fully operational, the brakes are strong, and the 4W steering switches modes easily. All the gauges function, the heater works fine, and the floodlight swivels and illuminates properly.

Noteworthy features on this truck include:
Perkins Turbo Diesel Engine
3 Speed Powershift Transmission
Heated Cab
Tear Free Seats
2 or 4 Wheel Drive Modes
4 Wheel Steering
2 Wheel Steering
Coordinated Steering
Crab Steering
Planetary Gear Differentials
Hydro-Boost Braking System
10-Ply Tires
360° Floodlight
Flashing Beacon

Mike

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks