• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What can you tell me about this deuce..?

tamangel

found it in a historic vehicle site from Malta..

I've contacted them, but thought you folks would be a quicker response until I get a reply..

all I have currently is this picture and the title AM General M35A2B...

maybe we can provide assistance of some sort, at least resources and ID info..
anything and everything would be helpful..

Mike

Attachments

Last edited:

wsucougarx

From outward appearance. It has a Turbo MultiFuel Engine, missing the air filter assy, updated with lower brush guard, old school west coat mirror brackets. Looks to have gone a unit rebuild by the looks. Also wondering what the heck this thing ran into to have bent the bumper like that.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
God only knows what they had to go through to get the truck and I'm sure they are probably going through he!! to get parts on Malta.

I wish them nothing but the best of luck in getting it fixed up.

OH, and maybe the truck hit the same guardrail as me. A little tap for a deuce, a totaller for a CUCV.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Mike,

Have them send us the serial number and/or registration number.

I'm sure they are quite proud of their vehicle and considering the location, I figure they had to go through a lot to get it.

Folks, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. These folks are on a small island in the Med and probably don't have access to even half the stuff we do to get this truck looking new.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
uhhhh,sad sad truck....I wanna see the one behind it....solid 1 peice windshield!
The front one has a solid 1 piece windshield too :wink: I agree though, i'd like to see what the one behind it is. Look, stored indoors, a barn find!

tamangel

Malta's reply...

Malta's Reply..: (the main web site: http://www.maltahistoricvehicles.com/index.html , The deuce pic is under 'the collection' link and then at the bottom of that page..)

Hello Mike ,
Thank you for your message. The situation as we know it is that the Department of Defense donated approx 80 vehicles to the Maltese Government during the 1990’s effectively after the large scale withdrawal of US forces from Germany. These vehicles primarily were M35A2’s of various marques including but not restricted to troop carriers, tippers, tankers and some recovery vehicles largely if not all with multi-fuel engines. In addition there were a lesser number of M151A2 Mutts. They were all originally passed to the Armed Forces of Malta (AFM) although some if not before then certainly after went to the Public Works Department and a yellow paint job.
The AFM still retain about half a dozen but the rest were sold off at auction. Unfortunately one way or another most of the ID plates have been removed so we have very little evidence of their individual identity. I also have to say most of them are in pretty poor condition and the high humidity here has enhanced their rustability. However, I would like to keep your name on file and we can come up with any identities then we most certainly will get back to you.
Can you confirm the specific details you require? Are you an ex US army truck expert? If you are I have a number of trucks I would like assessing in terms of approx year of manufacture and M number on photographs taken both here in Malta and the UK . Let me know – meanwhile here is a photo of one currently still in AFM service.
Kind regards
Peter Skerry
Trustee of the MHVT
(please respond to my address and not the website)
my response:
Hello Peter, Thanks for the quick reply. No, I am not an expert in USA military vehicles but am a member of an on-line forum called 'Steel Soldiers' whose membership has over several thousand enthusiasts who are experts.
Here is the main forum link:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/forum.php

I would encourage you to do 'searches' on the site and possibly become a member (no cost). As a member, you will have access to pictures people post and be able to post your own. I'm sure you will be amazed at all the information you will find, and you will be able to find the answers to ALL of your inquires. Maybe your trust can be Malta's first member..

Good luck and email me if you have any other questions. I would direct you to the forum as your main information source, however. You will not be disappointed..

Mike

Attachments

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If this guy could get some frame numbers off the trucks I bet Carnac could help him out.

That's an interesting link you gave us here. Lot of pictures of old british trucks.
I love those old Scammel trucks, they look really weird and have a character of their own!
And by the way, Malta is a great place to visit for those who are inclined to history.

Thanks for sharing,
Mark

tamangel

More Malta..

the latest from the Malta Vehicle Trust guy..

"Well done Mike, If these numbers can be established is the information
available to get some history on the individual vehicles or at least type
and year?
I enclose photos of 4 we own and 2 for which we store for others. I have
also attached a couple of interesting working ex US army trucks. The yellow
one works out of a heavy haulage yard and the red tractor is working on site
unregistered in the Malta Free Port. Some suggestions have been made on the
captions as to possible M numbers.
Perhaps you would like to investigate?
Kind regards
Peter "

#1- AM GENERAL possibly M51A2
#2- AM GENERAL M35A2
#3- AM GENERAL M35A2
#4- AM GENERAL M35A2
#5- AM GENERAL M35A2
#6- AM GENERAL M35A2
#7- INTERNATIONAL possibly M139
#8- INTERNATIONAL possibly XM532E2
I gave him several thread links from SS and encouraged him to become a member..we'll see.. if anyone is interested in conversing with him, PM me for an email address..got to admire their willingness to take on projects..

Anyone curious about Malta can go to 'google earth' and just put MALTA in as a search term.

Info here also: https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/mt.html

Mike

Attachments

Last edited:

tamangel

latest..posted under the Malta Half Trak thread but since it mentions Deuces, will cut and paste the statement on serial numbers.. I had forwarded him all the posts that you-all put in here about deuce SN locations..

"M35's, no serial numbers whatsoever in the areas given and even most
component plates have gone. "

Mike

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks