• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M116a2 1/2?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's right, today I went to work on creating my very own M116A2 1/2. I started out with one of the M116A3 trailers I bought from JAX. My plans are to lose the generator body and add a different body. Problem is the axle with the HMMWV rolling stock is too wide. My plans were to put an -A2 axle in with some stock CUCV wheels and tires. I went to 2 junk yards this morning trying to find a pair of GM 16" 8 lug rims, one of the most common rims on the face of the planet. I found zilch! After my defeat I contemplated whether or not the HMMWV would fit with the -A2 axle. A few minutes with a tape and I confirmed it would probably work. I immediately got busy. Axle swap took a little over an hour and a half (thanks to the M108). Once the -A2 axle was in, the tires bolted on and cleared the frame by an inch on each side. Looking at it, if I removed the fender extensions on the generator chassis, it would look perfect. Later I'll get with the body swap to the new body. Also attached are a few pics of my growing 3/4 ton trailer collection.

Attachments

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not really sure on the origin of the cap. Wayne Harris bought it from the Gov't and I ended up with it. It was on my 94 Chevy for quite a while. The side doors open into the trailer body. I still have to engineer a way to open and close the tailgate latches.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks