• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M116a2 1/2?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's right, today I went to work on creating my very own M116A2 1/2. I started out with one of the M116A3 trailers I bought from JAX. My plans are to lose the generator body and add a different body. Problem is the axle with the HMMWV rolling stock is too wide. My plans were to put an -A2 axle in with some stock CUCV wheels and tires. I went to 2 junk yards this morning trying to find a pair of GM 16" 8 lug rims, one of the most common rims on the face of the planet. I found zilch! After my defeat I contemplated whether or not the HMMWV would fit with the -A2 axle. A few minutes with a tape and I confirmed it would probably work. I immediately got busy. Axle swap took a little over an hour and a half (thanks to the M108). Once the -A2 axle was in, the tires bolted on and cleared the frame by an inch on each side. Looking at it, if I removed the fender extensions on the generator chassis, it would look perfect. Later I'll get with the body swap to the new body. Also attached are a few pics of my growing 3/4 ton trailer collection.

Attachments

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not really sure on the origin of the cap. Wayne Harris bought it from the Gov't and I ended up with it. It was on my 94 Chevy for quite a while. The side doors open into the trailer body. I still have to engineer a way to open and close the tailgate latches.