• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

R442 Conversion

salt6

I though I'd document my attempt to convert a R442 Aux radio. My plan is to use the shell to house another type of player and use the external speaker for the sound.

Here is the amp I'm using.
Search ebay for; "woodyscustomshop"

NEW Collector Car Hidden Secret iPod MP3 Audio System w/USB Stick SD Card input.
"The Classic Car Audio Solution"
A self contained stand alone hidden digital music system
Fits Classic Cars, Collectible Cars, European Sports Cars, 50's Cruisers, Hot Rods, etc.
A Woody's Custom Shop Exclusive
No need to rebuild your original AM or AM FM radio.
No need to have it modified to accept an iPod or MP3 player input.
Leave your original radio in place. It does not even need to be operational.

"The Classic Car Audio Solution" is a "mini amp" with digital inputs for iPod/iPhone, MP3 player, or MP3 files on an SD card or USB memory stick. No AM or FM
This 3 by 2.5 by 1 inch compact yet powerful unit can be hidden most anywhere
and accessed by the 50 cent piece sized wired remote.
Maintains your cars original stock interior appearance.
•40 Watts per channel, two channels (2 speaker inputs).
•Plays through your existing speakers. Plenty of power for most speakers.
•Includes power cord and wired remote control.
•Plays MP3 files from USB & SD memory media. 2GB maximum recommended.
•3.5 input for iPod/iPhone/ MP3 player (Cell phones, Microsoft Zune, SanDisk Sansa, & Creative Zen)
•It's like a mini CD changer with way more songs then any CD changer could hold.
•BONUS 3.5 to 3.5 input cable is included. (sd card, usb stick, mp3 player, ipod, iphone NOT INCLUDED)
•10% the size and 25% the cost of other hidden or "Secret Audio" systems.
•Why pay for more then you need?
•Includes Woody's Exclusive installation and operation instructions. Large print and in English!
•Will work in 6 volt vehicles and positive ground vehicles with optional converter ($59)
•Requires 4 ohm speakers, original (old) speakers may not sound good. Upgraded speakers are available (6.5, 5X7, 6X9, & 4X10 dual voice coil or 5.25, 5 inch, 3.5, 4 inch speaker pairs)
•1 Year Manufacturer Warranty
Woody's Custom Shop specializes in radios, speaker upgrades and antennas for older vehicles. Please email or call us if you would like additional information.
9-5 M-F PST 949-722-1084 or 1-877-435-6911
Got it to work. :mrgreen:

Military Radio Convesion - YouTube

Last edited:

Emmett

Looking good...I just picked up my Schoshe 4" speakers. I have two extra speaker housings and will do the same as you did.
The stereo is a Marine Dual that should work fine. The Pyle 12-24 volt inverter is in the mail.

I will be playing with the installation at work during my down time.
Securing the units in the box should turn out interesting.

salt6

Where did you download the radio chatter from?

Got it from youtube. Here is some info on that.

Found this editor to adjust the sound and cut out dead time in the audio. You can also use it to change stero to mono.

Audacity ® 1.3.14-beta (ANSI)
A Free Digital Audio Editor
Audacity: Free Audio Editor and Recorder
Audacity is a free program written by a worldwide team of volunteer developers. We thank SourceForge.net and Google Code for our project hosting. Audacity is available for Windows 98 and later, Mac OS X, Linux and other Unix-like systems. For Mac OS 9, use version 1.0.0.
This is a Beta version of the program. It may contain bugs and unfinished features. We depend on your feedback: please send bug reports and feature requests to our Feedback address. For help, use the Help menu in the program, view the tips and tricks on our Wiki or visit our Forum.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Found this to download and convert videos from Youtube.

Free YouTube to MP3 Converter
Free YouTube to MP3 Converter: Download Manager - YouTube to MP3 Downloader

Requirements
Windows XP Service Pack 2, Vista, 7 with .Net Framework 2
Description

Use Free YouTube to MP3 Converter to download mp3 from all possible YouTube videos. This YouTube mp3 converter extracts audio from single YouTube videos as well as whole collections such as:
- complete playlists and show lists;
- users' channels;
- all videos from personal playlists (History, Liked, Favourites, Watch later, etc.);
- artist's playlists;
- videos from Movies Category;
- videos from Music Category;
- videos from YouTube charts;
- video responses.
Free YouTube to MP3 Converter combines simplicity of usage as well as advanced downloading features which you can set as you like:
- save original (non-converted) YouTube files;
- enjoy multistream downloading;
- customize output name easily;
- save and load links from external text files;
- save download history;
- import videos to iTunes automatically;
- download videos which require YouTube authorization via Firefox, Internet Explorer and Google Chrome;
- enable compatibility with screen reading software.

Output file formats: *.mp3, *.m4a, *.aac, *.wav, *.wma, *.ogg, *.flac, *.ape. The files are saved to the folder Music and they retain the name of the source video.

Free YouTube to MP3 Converter automatically fills the title tag and the artwork, which can be seen in iTunes, Winamp or Windows Explorer folder.

Free YouTube to MP3 Converter contains no spyware or adware. It's clearly free and absolutely safe to install and run.
Note: from time to time YouTube changes their video files hosting routine. So our YouTube download programs stop working. We work hard and usually fix such problems within a day or so. We strongly recommend to subscribe to our free newsletter to always receive our updates in time!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks