• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

400 miles in an M813

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This past Sunday, I drove the M813A1 down to John Winslow's place in Halifax, NC. He picked up two M105A2s for me from Ft. Bragg and I went down with my brother to retrieve them. John loaded one into the bed with his 10,000 pound military forklift and I towed the other behind the truck. Man, that was a trip. My brother and I left Maryland at about 11:30 AM, got down to Winslow's at around 5 PM, stayed there until about 7:30 PM and finally got back home around 3 AM. That was a long trip...and a lot of bouncing around inside the cab. As expected, though, the truck drove fairly smoothly with a load. I already disconnected the one trailer from the truck, but I'll try to take pics of the trailer in the bed of the truck when I have a chance. I am headed out on a business trip until the weekend of June 10th.

Oh, yeah...by the way, I paid $2.03 for diesel at exit 8 on I95 in Emoria, VA. That was the cheapest that I found on the trip.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, Bruce! You're no stranger to that 400 mile hike. I stopped in there on my way home.
He's got tons of stuff. I did talk him into selling me a top for my truck. My next trip I'm going to get a tunnel box for the M447 expandible and try to talk him out of a deuce front axle that he had sitting in the back of a truck. It didn't have any axles or spindles. BTW, we stopped at the Flying J at the VA 104 and paid $1.97 for diesel.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Bruce,
It takes a while to get used to driving the old MV on the highways.
Your stats show a pretty slow average speed, did you drive backroads only?

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Desert Rat,
My truck is an M813A1 with a Cummins NHC-250 engine.

Bjorn,

We hit some Memorial Day traffic. We also stopped for lunch and dinner. I had a guest with me in the truck and he wanted to stop to eat. I usually eat while I'm driving. The other issue was...we waited for a little over an hour for John to get home and we stayed at his place for a few hours. He got caught in traffic coming from VA Beach. When you take out the stops and the visit, I think we were actually driving for about 10 hours.

Bruce