• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton hook lift system install

Vintage iron

I bought my truck to use on my farm for general use and for recreation. I have a M813 with a winch and NTC 250. I have been looking for a dump body for my truck and found one on Tenn. But I don't think, a dump body is going to cut it any more. I am thinking of building a Hook lift for my M813.

I am a skilled fabricator and have built custom truck bodies before. I believe I will need to build my own for a few reasons. (1) MV are higher than civilian trucks. (2) I want to incorporate the storage tanks in the frame rail like the military dump bed. (3) since this will be on a off-road truck, the body will need to lock down (4) Hook lift kit go for $15000.

My buddy is an engineer and I will have him design the system on CAD to see what the lift angle will be and to get proper material sizes.

I think a hook lift set up is better, because I will be able to change bodies, I will be able to load material flat on the ground and then load the body, and I can use it for vehicle recovery too. Almost like a wrecker.

Vintage iron

I have seen most of the posts on the HEMTT PLS system and the military use of the multi lift and hook lift. I would use one of those if I could find one at the right price!

I will post up pictures and drawings during the build. I am going to keep it simple and light as possible.

Vintage iron

I believe that it is the MK 18 trailer that has the self loading capacity. I seen a post by Snakehead. I will look into M812 and M945 too. I think these are a little harder to find, but more information is always better. Thanks guys!

exbrown

I believe that it is the MK 18 trailer that has the self loading capacity.
There are 2 versions of the MK-18 trailer:

• MK-18 will load and unload a 20' container.
  • MK-18A1 is like a hook lift system, and can actually swap out beds.
I have the older MK-18, but I would love to get one of the newer A1 models.

Vintage iron

I have found a bunch of MK 18 trailers. They are not the MK 18A1 trailers with the hooklift, but the MK 18 trailers is a amazing too. The ones I found are almost unused. one in FLA and two in Michigan. They are going for around $4500. each. The is a deal considering they have two drive axles, (4) 16.00 R21 tires, a winch, a tilt bed, and a PTO to name some of the pieces.

Vintage iron

Sizing and design of a system is not a big issue. It has been done before. The good news is a found a Knuckle boom cheap. So I will use the knuckle boom to load/unload and have the dump bed for hauling bulk material. It has a 17' reach and 2750lbs at full reach. That should handle most of my loading needs and it folds up nice!