• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air-O-Matic torque valve

qbond

G'day from Brisbane Australia. I am trying to keep my elderly father driving and want to fit air assist steering to an old car for him. Can anyone please supply an old Air-O-Matic torque valve so I can copy and make a smaller one. Doesn't matter if it is worn out, only needs be complete. Arthur Bloom can't supply smaller ones, and I cant post a wanted classified as I am not in the USA, UK etc.

comdiver

Some of the 60's and 70's American cars used a power assist ram. I think Ford Mustang's were one and also some GM's. These should be much cheaper and a power steering pump should be cheaper and easer also.

qbond

Thanks Comd - I am trying to avoid fitting a new steering box though, as it is a classic etc etc

comdiver

The assist rams are able to use the old steering box. They work like the air-o-matic except they use a hydraulic pump instead of air.

qbond

Ok thanks - but what is used to send the "signal" to the pressuriesd fluid to go to the assist ram if the old steerig box is being used - don't you need a steering box with the valves in which are opebed when force at the rim exceeds a certain amount?

comdiver

Very-very simplified the assist link has the valve built into it. When you turn the wheel it feels the movement and moves hydraulicly.

qbond

Thanks, this explains how and why you dont need to put in a power steer box, if the valve goes in the drag link, just like the air-o-matic system. The primary vehicle is a Jag Mark 1 which has had a bigger/heavier engine fitted. Unfortunately, there is no drag link, as the Pitman arm attaches direct to the track rod and the rod to the wheel. I wanted to get an air control valve to mount inside the car to provide assistance for parking/reversing but not general driving - but the idea seems to be dead in the water as while I am happy to have an air line in the cabin I am not so keen on hydraulic lines.