• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Carburetor inlet fitting leak

m270mlrs2

Good morning I am having an issue with the fuel inlet valve leaking fuel om my M151a2 pre emission set up. I found that the brass 30 degree fuel inlet valve had stripped threads. i could not find a replacement for he original part. I went to NAPA and got a close copy but but shorter and you can not use the locknut. So when I installed it, the elbow still leaks about a drip every few seconds while running. The carburetor I had was just rebuilt. The old NOS carburetor that was on it was cracked where the old original elbow was screwed in. I have seen where the in line filter goes directly into the carb without the fitting. I have been told that the threads are different and that I need that correct fitting. I placed an add on here for the parts. I haven tried any teflon tape on the Napa fitting yet it seems like the fuel would just dissolve it. The fitting is tight with about 3 threads still showing. I went hand tight then another half turn. I don't want to crack the carburetor. Just looking for some advise or the correct parts. Here are the parts listed in the TM

Elbow 30 degree fuel inlet
4730-00-006-4005

Lock nut fuel inlet
4730-00-832-5670

Filter Inline
2910-00-176-8928

nattieleather

If it was my vehicle I would put Teflon tape and tighten it a little bit more. If I remember correctly it is a pipe thread and if you have 3 threads showing it may still be a little loose. That's just me though.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Use a sealant like Permatex 1 or 2. #1 gets hard, #2 stays pliable. It is gas/oil resistant and will fill the cracks if there are any.

owensexport

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The original fitting is a STRAIGHT thread, not a pipe thread. That is why there is a nylon lock/sealing nut.
If you use a pipe thread, you will crack the carb housing if tightened to the point
where it will not leak. I have seen tons of carbs cracked because of the wrong fitting.

m270mlrs2

The original fitting is a STRAIGHT thread, not a pipe thread. That is why there is a nylon lock/sealing nut.
If you use a pipe thread, you will crack the carb housing if tightened to the point
where it will not leak. I have seen tons of carbs cracked because of the wrong fitting.
So if I cannot locate the correct fitting is it ok toput the filter directly to the carburetor? I found the correct Fram filters evidently they still make and sell them for about 3 dollars each

m270mlrs2

Thanks for getting that I would like to give you something for your time and postage here is my information and thanks again
David Fernandez
1216 Richmond Ridge
Loganville ,GA