• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Difference between the TCM for 6.5L turbo and non-turbo NA?

Malo7

Apologies for redundancy if this has been asked hundreds of times but I didn’t find a thread on it yet.
here it goes:
Is there a difference in TCM part numbers for the 6.5L turbo and the non-turbo NA?
I’m swapping out to a 4L80E. Have everything but the TCM so need to know if I should believe the eBay vendor telling me it doesn’t matter. He’s got one listed for the turbo NSN and said it will work on my non turbo.
Any help is appreciated.
thank you.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, they are different part numbers
Only difference is the shift points. The turbo version has a little higher shift points, to deal with the slightly lower diff gearing and increased truck weight.

also, check out this thread

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Apologies for redundancy if this has been asked hundreds of times but I didn’t find a thread on it yet.
here it goes:
Is there a difference in TCM part numbers for the 6.5L turbo and the non-turbo NA?
I’m swapping out to a 4L80E. Have everything but the TCM so need to know if I should believe the eBay vendor telling me it doesn’t matter. He’s got one listed for the turbo NSN and said it will work on my non turbo.
Any help is appreciated.
thank you.
Welcome to the SS forums!!!

Malo7

Yes, they are different part numbers
Only difference is the shift points. The turbo version has a little higher shift points, to deal with the slightly lower diff gearing and increased truck weight.

also, check out this thread
Thank you for the info.
so if I understand that correctly, using a TCM programmed for a turbo will shift at higher rpm than necessary for my lighter M1097R1.
I’m not a mechanical wiz but I’m guessing that’s like over throttling my roadglide before shifting gears. Kinda wastes fuel and increases wear if I’m not mistaken.
Am I understanding that right?
The donor HMMWV I got the tranny from is a non Turbo but looks like it had armor on it at some point. Can’t verify because it doesn’t have a dada plate. Not sure what model it was. Definitely a USMC slant back but that’s all I have.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you for the info.
so if I understand that correctly, using a TCM programmed for a turbo will shift at higher rpm than necessary for my lighter M1097R1.
I’m not a mechanical wiz but I’m guessing that’s like over throttling my roadglide before shifting gears. Kinda wastes fuel and increases wear if I’m not mistaken.
Am I understanding that right?
The donor HMMWV I got the tranny from is a non Turbo but looks like it had armor on it at some point. Can’t verify because it doesn’t have a dada plate. Not sure what model it was. Definitely a USMC slant back but that’s all I have.
You can "tune" any of them to some extent buy changing the position of the TPS

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks