• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

ECO Hubs Who needs 3:07 gears?

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah the Bluefire dongle seems to be a good option for basic monitoring. Note that for some strange reason they don't make it compatible with the 24v J1939 powered port on our trucks so you have to either modify your plug or add a second interface plug that's 12v so it doesn't damage their dongle.

Besides that, it's only capable of generic J1939 data display. It doesn't do any two-way communication so it can't run component tests, and doesn't know about unique data streams that aren't part of the generic protocol. It's the equivalent of a $25 scan tool for a '96 and newer OBD-II car. Compared to CAT ET/Allison DOC, etc.... it's like comparing the $25 Amazon scan tool to the $5,000+ dealer level diagnostic tools. Nothing wrong with having it or with having both but important to note it's limitations. It's a monitoring device - not a diagnostic tool. You can't do a cylinder cutout test, injection pressure control tests, or see any of the proprietary data streams specific to HEUI CAT engines (somewhat unique in the diesel world).

Third From Texas

Yeah the Bluefire dongle seems to be a good option for basic monitoring. Note that for some strange reason they don't make it compatible with the 24v J1939 powered port on our trucks so you have to either modify your plug or add a second interface plug that's 12v so it doesn't damage their dongle.
The way I installed mine was to add a "Y" cable that created two ports. One I attached into the OEM hole and it acts as my diagnostic port. The second I clipped the 24v wire and sealed it, then I ran a 12v wire from a fuse panel and attached it to the port.

The Bluefire lives permanently behind the driver kickpanel. And the diagnostic port is unaffected.

MatthewWBailey

Father, Husband and Barn Hermit
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My money is on the assumption that your tach is accurate. The truck drives normally and the TCM isn't pissed off about input/output speed correlation - that's two facts that seem to have more credibility than the observation that the tach "seems about right".......
I checked it with the strobe I have. Matches up at 1500 and 2000. When doing a pedal to the floor accel on flat road, it revs to 2400 before shifting to 3, then 2100 before shifting to 4.

based on the feedback and also the Allison "tips" manual, I'm wondering if it's worth dropping/replacing the fluid and having a fluid test. Maybe I have fluid issues? not like Midwest would've changed it. I guess that still doesn't account for lack of codes thou? ...

Odd since it drives quite powerfully. Even with 3.07s and ECO, shifting into D from N at a dead stop with no brake on makes the truck lurch forward noticeably at idle. Going up the 10* slope took 1150 rpm today from dead stop.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks