• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Feasibility of Solar Panel augmentation with existing MEP backup/additive power or just add larger genset?

Chainbreaker

Wow lots of good info being shared! With all these options it looks like I am leaning towards putting together a plan to solve my immediate summer AC need during any hot weather outage by adding a 10-kw generator with a future plan to implement some level of battery + solar over time in stages.

Keep the "ideas & knowledgeable info coming" as there seem to be a lot of "common interest" with multiple approaches to consider as others may have similar circumstances/needs. (y)

blk65brd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For summer/winter air conditioning/heating needs there are mini-split systems that will operate on solar panels only and can also have AC connections for night and sunless days.

MatthewWBailey

Father, Husband and Barn Hermit
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One thing to think about too... if they are already at the stage of utility shutdowns, whose to say they wont have some sort of restriction on the use of generators in private hands during these same times? Overreach is governments middle name.
That's already happening indirectly thru the climate craze. The gens will get confiscated indirectly. If he who will not be named gets elected another term, you will see the EPA push tier-4 down to the "lawn & garden" level of products where gas/diesel is a possible fuel. That includes home generators.

Baby blue states will hard mandate this thru their state EPA enforcement (plus fbi) and you'll be fined (or worse) if you don't have an emission sticker on your gen. Think they won't know? they'll know by using past social media posts to determine who's got what, or your liberal neighbor will call the "get your neighbor hotline" like during covid. Isn't Marxism great? Thanks Karl.

802 and 803 will be flagged words just like the "Willy's" & "AM general" makes are flagged now in the CO dmv (for 'safety reasons'). (See thread on registrations). See how it works? The incremental takeover is already setup. If they can put moms who complain to school boards on the FBI watchlist, they can put us on there for using generators or even having custom vehicles that aren't "EVs". "All you evil prepper extremists!"

Notice how right now, battery powered weed whackers and battery lawn mowers etc are pushing out all other options? Thank PoS traitor John Kerry and the rest of the zombie potus staff. Sorry, sometimes politics can't be avoided.

Last edited:

Chainbreaker

@ LITD: Just a FYI... Our local preemptive utility shutdowns that our rural utility company does is not Gov't mandated, it's the local Utility Co's call as far as their fire safety concerns regarding trees/limbs falling on active Utility Power Lines causing them to start fires. Most home use generators don't present the same sort of danger due to being directly wired into the house (Transfer switch/Interlock) w/o any overhead lines. But who knows what the future might hold?

@ MWB: Hmmm... thanks for raising concerns regarding present & future diesel generators "EPA Tier ratings" & potential for enforcement/fines.

I decided to do some searching/investigating. A couple of things stuck out: The engine only has to meet the Federal EPA requirements for the year it was manufactured. My existing (Non-Prime Generator units are 1991 & older (pre-1996 Tier 1) & earlier vintage so I'm good there. The engine output kw rating also impacts the EPA requirements, a MEP-002a is a 8.9 HP = 6.55 KW output so it's under the 37 kw threshold as well.

Reference: About EPA Tier Generator Regulations - Woodstock Power

Though I certainly understand the concerns regarding "the on-road issues surrounding licensing/registering former gov't vehicles" & the various state mandates recently enacted causing much grief to their owners!

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks