• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FLU419 Diesel engine does not shut off

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Thanks for the recommendation, I am no more at risk than anyone else now that mine is fixed, but after working on old diesel engines for some time now I was prepared to cut the air with a block off for the intake upon first start.
Guess I'm chicken, but removing the intake hoses and having a flat metal plate to cover the intake on the engine block is how I crank any diesel after I have turned wrenches on it. Or if it has been sitting for a while waiting to be brought back to life.

First time you stick that metal plate over the intake - it makes your heart pound when it grabs it. Definitely not somewhere you would want to have a finger or a piece of skin. Even over the clatter of an old Detroit there is a really obvious "clank" sound...

Copout911

Guess I'm chicken, but removing the intake hoses and having a flat metal plate to cover the intake on the engine block is how I crank any diesel after I have turned wrenches on it. Or if it has been sitting for a while waiting to be brought back to life.

First time you stick that metal plate over the intake - it makes your heart pound when it grabs it. Definitely not somewhere you would want to have a finger or a piece of skin. Even over the clatter of an old Detroit there is a really obvious "clank" sound...
Wouldn't say "Chicken", more like experienced. While I have personally only used the panic board once because of necessity it was definitely a learning experience to say don't put important body parts in there. But man am I glad I thought to have it, as this example was about to make a mess of engine parts. learning moment!!

Last edited: