• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Military wheels on a civilian truck

K-Whopper94

Hey everyone, I’m new here, and after over 20 years of lurking on forums for all kinds of vehicles, this is my first time ever registering and posting.

So I have a 1994 Kenworth W900 boom truck that I just keep around for fun, and have been wanting to swap military wheels/super single tires on. (I’m thinking 49s based on my tandem axle spacing, but I don’t think that’s relevant to this post) The truck has stud piloted Budd wheels from the factory, so I’m hoping it’s possible, I know stud pilot is/was popular in military rigs. I’m also curious how I mount a wheel with the big stud holes on my drive axles with the small studs. Do I use the nuts that hold the outer duals on?

Also, I had a fantasy of swapping a 6x6 front axle under it, but I definitely need air brakes, large 10 hole hub, and at least a 16-18k lb capacity. (Static weight on the steer axle is 14k currently)

Any and all insight is much appreciated!!

Attachments

K-Whopper94

Hey everyone, I’m new here, and after over 20 years of lurking on forums for all kinds of vehicles, this is my first time ever registering and posting.

So I have a 1994 Kenworth W900 boom truck that I just keep around for fun, and have been wanting to swap military wheels/super single tires on. (I’m thinking 49s based on my tandem axle spacing, but I don’t think that’s relevant to this post) The truck has stud piloted Budd wheels from the factory, so I’m hoping it’s possible, I know stud pilot is/was popular in military rigs. I’m also curious how I mount a wheel with the big stud holes on my drive axles with the small studs. Do I use the nuts that hold the outer duals on?

Also, I had a fantasy of swapping a 6x6 front axle under it, but I definitely need air brakes, large 10 hole hub, and at least a 16-18k lb capacity. (Static weight on the steer axle is 14k currently)

Any and all insight is much appreciated!!
I should add that the drive axles currently have 4.10 gears, and I’m hoping to keep that ratio since the truck currently cruises pretty nicely at 65-70 mph. (Cummins M11 with a 10 speed Eaton Fuller)🍻

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks