• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newbie to forum and new to 53A1

DevilDog4x4

I'm in east central Iowa, I know a couple people up in southern MN too. Not Wisconsin by any means, but not clear across the continent either lol.
I see where you are at. We go kinda close to that area 1-2 times a year - May have to stop by to check out your toys. 🙂 Just picked up a 53 A1. Was restored 20-25 years ago but needed/needs work to get on street. I’ve already got it started and have already noticed that someone has changed a few things and I will be trying to figure out what should be original so I can decide how I want to do things.

DeetFreek

I see where you are at. We go kinda close to that area 1-2 times a year - May have to stop by to check out your toys. 🙂 Just picked up a 53 A1. Was restored 20-25 years ago but needed/needs work to get on street. I’ve already got it started and have already noticed that someone has changed a few things and I will be trying to figure out what should be original so I can decide how I want to do things.
I'm usually around lol, I don't get to take vacations lmao! My '52 is pretty close to being all original while the '53 has been converted to 12V and has quite a few changes. But, that being said, to those who aren't aware of what makes it original don't have a clue.

DevilDog4x4

I'm usually around lol, I don't get to take vacations lmao! My '52 is pretty close to being all original while the '53 has been converted to 12V and has quite a few changes. But, that being said, to those who aren't aware of what makes it original don't have a clue.
Yeah - not going the 100% original route. Was previously converted to 12v so that’s staying. Hard to fathom or I’m just missing something - but there is NO oil filter on this thing. My goal right now is to replace the fuel pump, change and flush engine oil, rebuild carburetor, replace brake master cylinder and upgrade wheel cylinders and replace shocks - one is broken so will replace all of them. I’ll add original oil filter down the road. Fuel and vacuum lines have been rerouted and changed. Has in line gas filter before carb - not sure if filter is still in tank. Wiper vacuum is being taken straight off the block. Nothing but fun. 🙂

DeetFreek

Yeah - not going the 100% original route. Was previously converted to 12v so that’s staying. Hard to fathom or I’m just missing something - but there is NO oil filter on this thing. My goal right now is to replace the fuel pump, change and flush engine oil, rebuild carburetor, replace brake master cylinder and upgrade wheel cylinders and replace shocks - one is broken so will replace all of them. I’ll add original oil filter down the road. Fuel and vacuum lines have been rerouted and changed. Has in line gas filter before carb - not sure if filter is still in tank. Wiper vacuum is being taken straight off the block. Nothing but fun. 🙂

I've heard of the no filter setup, not what I'd recommend by any means, but it has happened.

Back when I didn't know squat about these, I put a CJ style single action pump on the 53 to replace the electric pump a previous owner put on. Couldn't get the blasted thing to pump, so I put the electric pump back on. I plan on getting a core here in the near future to rebuild for it. The 52 still has the dual action pump on it but doesn't work, it's been upgraded to an electric as well. So, ultimately I will have two pumps to rebuild.

I switched over to electric wipers on the 53, routed my wiring through the old vacuum lines, so it at least resembles the stock setup. The 52 only has one wiper because of the split in the windshield for the 106mm, it's still a vacuum type.

There's always something.....

DevilDog4x4

I've heard of the no filter setup, not what I'd recommend by any means, but it has happened.

Back when I didn't know squat about these, I put a CJ style single action pump on the 53 to replace the electric pump a previous owner put on. Couldn't get the blasted thing to pump, so I put the electric pump back on. I plan on getting a core here in the near future to rebuild for it. The 52 still has the dual action pump on it but doesn't work, it's been upgraded to an electric as well. So, ultimately I will have two pumps to rebuild.

I switched over to electric wipers on the 53, routed my wiring through the old vacuum lines, so it at least resembles the stock setup. The 52 only has one wiper because of the split in the windshield for the 106mm, it's still a vacuum type.

There's always something.....
yes - there is “always” something to do on these or any Jeep.

I would like to find an original dual pump but that’s not very likely at a reasonable price. I have an after market dual I’ll be putting on.

Like the idea of running the wires thru a rubber hose - I’ll have to do that to the ignition switch wires. Not thrilled seeing bright red wire out of fire wall when up I lift the hood.

where do you recommend rebuild kits for fuel pump and carb?

DeetFreek

Like the idea of running the wires thru a rubber hose - I’ll have to do that to the ignition switch wires. Not thrilled seeing bright red wire out of fire wall when up I lift the hood.

where do you recommend rebuild kits for fuel pump and carb?
My go to for any parts is Midwest Military, John is a great vendor, has a lot of knowledge and is close by. You'd have parts in a couple days, which is nice not having to wait. DeBella is another good vendor. General Taylor’s Motorpool and Surplus is a contact I made at the MVPA convention, Derrick Kulcsar is a solid guy.

I used a CJ 7 harness in my 53, so my engine bay isn't the cleanest, but not hideous lol. Screenshot_20231110_182945_Gallery.jpg

This is what my wiring ended up looking like.
Screenshot_20231110_182235_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20231110_182219_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20231110_182240_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:

JEB

Question..
Those look like aftermarket electric wipers....like mine.
Yet you still have the manual one-off switch on the hose?

Correct?
My wiper wires run through the hose, yet I'd like to add the old style on-off switch to make it look stock.
If any assumptions are correct, how did you do it?

Agree about John at Midwest Military, great vendor.

DeetFreek

Question..
Those look like aftermarket electric wipers....like mine.
Yet you still have the manual one-off switch on the hose?

Correct?
My wiper wires run through the hose, yet I'd like to add the old style on-off switch to make it look stock.
If any assumptions are correct, how did you do it?
Correct lol, I'm handy, because my wife doesn't find me handsome. 🤣

All you have to do is run a drill bit large enough to pass the wire through the switch. Since those switches are still available, I didn't mind altering it. And for a piece of mind, throw a little epoxy on the switch itself so you can't turn it and unintentionally kink or break the wire.

JEB

I'm pleased that someone had he same Idea as me...electric wipers but the vacuum tube switch for appearances.
Mine had the mounting holes and I wanted them them filled.
I bought a NOS switch ($20), I'll fit it during the winter work.

My only problem is with the deeper electric box atop the windshield, my passenger seat hits it when I open the tool box (a great place to hide stuff at shows), thus it can't open all the way.

DeetFreek

My only problem is with the deeper electric box atop the windshield, my passenger seat hits it when I open the tool box (a great place to hide stuff at shows), thus it can't open all the way.
Interesting, my motor sticks out about ⅛" less than the vacuum motor assembly.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks