• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil Sending Unit

MilspecE6

Like many, my factory gauges have been nothing, but trouble. I finally gave up soldering traces on a bad circuit board and located a really clean doner gauge assembly. All was well at first, but all the gauges (minus the fuel and ammeter) start increasing after 5 minutes until they max out. I assumed a ground issue, but after cleaning up the grounds and still not being able to resolve it, I gave up and decided to just install a set of gauges instead.

I used an ABS panel to mount the gauges into the radio space. I can only fit 3 in there, so hopefully the fuel gauge holds out. I have the temp and voltmeter wired up (bypassed the ammeter the hack way by placing both leads on the same stud), but that oil sending unit is not making me happy. I have read many threads about what a pita it can be to remove, but now I understand their pain. I really don't want to do it if there is an option.

I know that Auot-Meter states that you have to use their sending unit (different resistance from factory?), but I would expect them to say that even if it wasn't true. Which brings me to the question: Has anyone tried connecting an after-market gauge to the factory sending unit? Will it work? My unit is only a year old according to the receipts and it would sure make life easier if it didn't really matter.
gauges 002.jpg

MilspecE6

I managed to get some time to wrench on this project and came armed with a new tool from Snap On that allows you to remove the oil psi sending unit from above without pulling the dizzy. They made the tolerances a little too strict for my taste so the wrench fits real snug over the hex nut of the sender. That sure prevents slippage or rounding, but when working blind, it was annoying trying to get it seated.

Still, it did save a lot of time and now my gauges are all installed. Now that tool will sit and collect dust in the tool box. but it was worth it.
oilsendertool 012.jpgsnapontool 017.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks