• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steering problems on MB

Miltrans

Hi. I'm trying to fix the steering on a late Willys MB. Someone has "opperated" on the steering and not got it right - AT ALL.
It looks as if the housing is from a M38A1 (larger than MB) but I have a sneaky feeling, that the actual steering coloum with the worm gear is from MB. The function is as if the worm and sector shaft dont match.
How do I tell the parts appart? I can see that the MB shaft with worm and sector shaft on MB and M38A1 have different parts numbers, but I am having trouble finding out what is it I actually have.
Hope someone here has info.
Thanks
Chris

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Properly rebuilding a Jeep steering gear requires a special ream to get the sector shaft bearing clearance right. Too much and you get wobble and play. I say this because my suggestion to you is throw your mismatch gear in the recycle pile and get a reman unit from one of the Jeep parts guys.